587,748 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Got a GArage!! Time to plan!

So the wife and I are finally buying our first home! It is a massive house, but it was a foreclosure, so we got a GREAT deal. And best of all, It has an attached (via a sun porch) 23x23 garage with an office over it!! I am so excited!

Now it is time to REALLY plan my CNC Router. It will be used for mostly for wood.. Making cabinets for my garage, trim work for the house and projects for family and friends. As well as cutting some plastics for some other items i have in mind.

I think I want the ability to do 4 foot by 4 foot, so I can work on larger items when I want. So now, I guess I gotta figure out what I want to build. I want a solid system, so I was thinking of using 8020 for the build. We shall see!

sweet bro! That is a great feeling. looking forward to the plans.

Thanks! House shopping was not nearly as fun as we had expected.. a lot of heart break, when homes would sell before we could make an offer.. But it wasn't meant to be. We walked into this house and KNEW it was home!

I am still reeling from the sheer amount of money to be spent, in buying, outfitting and all... But it will be worth it when I am sitting on my private 2.5 acres with the electric security gate and the 10th mile long paved driveway

Yea, I am STOKED!!!

Is it ok to be jealous?

Good luck with your new home and cnc adventure

Rob
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Quote Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
    Is it ok to be jealous?

Good luck with your new home and cnc adventure

Rob
    Yes it is and thank you We are super excited! Today we finished the last bit of negotiation. The bank will be paying for all the repairs to the property, prior to our moving in.

Now to order my race deck flooring for the garage!

Grats on the garage space.

4' x 4' good size. However, doing lots of wood...

What I've learned. Size matters. IE, purchasing wood in larger pieces is usually the better yield. However, buying larger pieces means having to cut it down to a size your machine can handle. Larger machine means less time spent and less material wasted.

If you purchase wood from the home centers, it usually comes in 4x8 ft sheets or 4x2 feet sheets.

Pay for the up front cost of making your machine large enough to save you time & money in the long run by purchasing large material.

My new machine can accept large pieces. I don't wast nearly as much material nor do I have to spend a lot of time cutting material to fit.

My first machines cutting envelope wasn't even a sheet of paper and I was constantly spending time cutting material down to make it fit. Lots of wasted material sizes.

Grats on your first Home Purchase!

Ok now i hate you ;P. Naw just joking looks awesome! And only 3 miles from the airport thats the iceing on the cake in my eyes.

Believe me... This has been a LONG time coming...
    I worked 1600 hours of overtime in just under 6 months to get the down payment together! And if not for the GREAT fortune of finally landing a Corporate IT job... After 20 years in the private sector... We would still be dreaming

And thank you We are so proud of it! These pictures still do not do it justice.
    There is a LOT of work to be done too. But it is all minor stuff.. A few rotten trim pieces, the landscaping and pathways need a LOT of work.. It was foreclosed on so it has been empty for a while. The house suffered HEAVY hail damage last year to, so it has a brand new roof. I have to replace one window and pretty much all the gutters...

But that is half the fun!!! Needless to say, we got a great deal on it.

Wow! What a great room above the garage- Just pipe some 220 up there and you'll be golden. Congrats- the whole package is just beautiful.
    -Mike
    Expensive tools can be cheaper than professional therapy

Great find and good luck! Heck you should be able to get a 16" CNC in there...

Thanks Gang!
    The room above the Garage will be my office. I work as a Windows Server Administrator for the local Major Power Corporation. I do a lot of work from home and need peace and quiet to do it. It will also, probably be my memorial to my Grandfather, whom without his teachings and help thru life... This would never be possible.

I fully plan to do a build log.. I have a LOT of work to do to the garage before I can even think of the CNC Router.. SO I will keep you guy apprised of my progress.
    We are currently a little over a month from closing. I am just about to order my RaceDeck flooring for the Garage!!

Quote Originally Posted by ViriiGuy View Post
    Thanks Gang!
    The room above the Garage will be my office. I work as a Windows Server Administrator for the local Major Power Corporation. I do a lot of work from home and need peace and quiet to do it. It will also, probably be my memorial to my Grandfather, whom without his teachings and help thru life... This would never be possible.

I fully plan to do a build log.. I have a LOT of work to do to the garage before I can even think of the CNC Router.. SO I will keep you guy apprised of my progress.
    We are currently a little over a month from closing. I am just about to order my RaceDeck flooring for the Garage!!
    O might be superstitious, buy aactually buying stuff for the house before the close is pretty brave!

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    O might be superstitious, buy aactually buying stuff for the house before the close is pretty brave!
    Not in this case Everything is done, just waiting on the tax man to acknowledge my payment this year. We are actually expecting to close much sooner than the end of March.

Just got a call from the contractor. My slab repair has been completed! This is one of the 3 jobs the bank has to do before I move in. The Termite treatment is Tuesday. The house does not have any signs of termites, but the landscaping did. The previous owner used Rail Road ties as a retaining wall..

A note to all you home owners and would be home owners... Do NOT USE WOOD FOR LANDSCAPING!!! It is a MAJOR NO NO!!! Termites LOVE this stuff.. I have been told by the Realtor, the insurance agent and the termite inspector.. Mulch, logs, railroad ties, lumber.. ALL BAD for flowerbeds and gardens that are anywhere near your house! They are breeding grounds for termites and an invitation for trouble.

Instead they ALL suggested Bricks and Stones for walls, Brick chips for replacement of mulch and the like.

Just thought I would pass this along

Wow, that Garage is amazing, you really scored! And 2.5 acres on top of that, if only we had that space in southern california.

I hope you post a buildlog of your shop when you get it going