587,852 active members*
3,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

General Question

At work I use an old RYE CNC machine. We have a cnc office where we have 2 computers to draw parts and generate the g-code. Each cnc machine is connected to both computers in the office so we can doanload the programs straight to the machines. The way the machines are setup we can see the folder that all the programs are in because they designated that folder when they setup the machine. I was wondering is there any way to see the files on the cnc machine itself from the computers in the cnc office? The control software on the machine is Osai and the computers in the office are using XP Pro. I have no particular reason to firgure this out but I has just been one of those curiosity questions on my mind. If you have any answers please let me know. Thanks- Robbie

I personally have not seen any machine that will let you read the directory, a PC based CNC may be able to do something like this, but I doubt an older CNC would.
    The closest thing I have seen for older machines etc, is almost a reverse procedure, a program like Cadem allows the CNC operator to remotely request a file from a distant, unattended computer and upload and download to it. This will work with almost every CNC that has a RS232 port.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al is right. The machine control has to be on the network with the office computer, usually not through the rs232 cable, but through an ethernet cable. Most new machines should be able to do this, ie: Mazak, Haas, Milltronics, etc.

Hey Al and Mortek, Thanks for your quick answers. Is there any way just to see the machines are there from the office computer. We also have a new Onsurd that was just bought about 8 months ago. Its running Windows 2000 pro under the control software, is there any way to see it from the office. Thanks again- Robbie

I am not familiar with the Onsrud, but if it is PC Win2000 based then you should be able to use any of the normal communication/network sytems available, this is usually one of the reasons for a PC based CNC control. Obviously you should have all the manuals for the machine and I would have thought there would be a section on running other s/w.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You should be able to buy a network card for the control running windows 2000 then connect that to the office computer through an ethernet cable. Then allow file sharing on the machine computer. Then the office computer could see your machine and the machine could also be set up to see files on the office computer. Then you could transfer files by dragging them to the control's file.