586,060 active members*
4,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gecko 203v KFLOP interface

I received my KFLOP yesterday afternoon and proceeded to connect it to a new G203V stepper drive. The motor is not responding.

At first, I thought the problem was the output voltage from the KFLOP to the 203V was too low; I was under the impression the Gecko needed 3.3V to operate the opto isolated inputs. However, a call to Gecko support confirmed that it can read a signal as low as 2.5V, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I was explaining to the Gecko tech that I was reading ~2.8V on my multimeter after I config/flash the KFLOP. He says that I should read 0V unless a step/dir command is issued and suggested that my motion controller be set to active HIGH.

I don't know how to do that, and I don't really know what that means.

I am config/flash Channel 0, No input, Output Step/Dir, Input value 0, Output value 8, then I am pressing download. The digital I/0 is set to bits 8, 9. On JP7 I have the step on pin 15, dir on pin 16 and pin 26 is run to COM on the Gecko.

The only other connection to the KFLOP are JR1 pins 3 and 4 for +5V (reading 4.9) and the USB cable signal from the PC. I also have a ground running from the ground connection between JP2 and JP5 to an earth ground on my power supply. Lastly, I removed J3, as I am powering the KFLOP with an external +5V as opposed to the USB.

As an aside, when I press Upload channel in config/flash it's my understanding it should upload the language to the Console. Nothing happens in the console, and the configuration (config/flash) changes to Input: encoder, Output: No output., input 0, output 0. Also, when I press C Code clipboard nothing happens either. Perhaps I am not flashing the Kflop correctly so it isn't going into Step/Dir output??

Re: Gecko 203v KFLOP interface

Ok, after reviewing the config/flash tutorial Fish4Fun has on here I have a couple of comments:

1.) disregard the C Code clipboard comment in my prior post. Fish4Fun puts it best when he says pressing the button does not appear to do anything, but pasting into a text editor will past the code. I opened Notepad-->ctrl+V and the code was pasted. Ok, got that.

2.) Upload Channel in config/flash uploads what is on the KFLOP; while it supposedly uploads into Console, I am still seeing nothing in Console when I press Upload Channel, but my config/flash reverts to Input: Encoder, Output: No output.

Thus, I am not downloading my parameters in config/flash when I press download channel. This would make sense as I apparently am not sending step/dir signals to the Gecko.

Pressing Upload Channel and then C Code to clipboard, clipboard to text editor (Notepad), I have the following code on the first two lines:

ch0->InputMode=ENCODER_MODE;
    ch0->OutputMode=NO_OUTPUT_MODE;

So it appears the problem is with me Downloading Channel. Not sure what to do other than press Download Chanel; should the LED's be flashing on the KFLOP? The LED's on the KFLOP remain static when I press Download Channel; which had me worried the parameters were not flashing to the KFLOP, b/c when I flash an Arduino it always registers on the LED's as a confirmation of sorts the device is being flashed. But, I can toggle the I/O pins fine from the Digital I/0 interface in KMotion so I assumed the board is receiving my commands.

Any help is appreciated.

I am going to continue to detail my findings in the hope future users can have a laymens view of setting up the KFLOP. That's the idea anyway.

Ok so I think I have made encountered a slight language error in what I previsouly wrote. Going off of Fish4Fun's tutorial I have been of the understanding that pressing Upload with upload the KFLOP setting, hereafter referred to as Axis Parameters, to the Console. From the F4F tutorial:

Upload Channel ==> Moves the Settings Already in KFLOP TO the Console Screen.
    The KMotion.exe configuration and tuning program has several screen cells that allow the user to adjust Axis Parameters. e.g. config/flash, step response, digital i/o, etc. One of the screen cells is called Console. So I was looking for the KFLOP Axis Parameter code to upload to the Console screen cell. I no longer think this is correct.

Re-watching (for like the fifth time!) the flash help vid on the Dynomotion website, link to vid, the Upload channel process is described as:

Pushing the "Upload Channel" button uploads the active parameters from the KFLOP to the KMotion screen cells
    So when I press Upload Channel while in the config/flash channel screen cell, it should upload the axis parameters currently loaded on the KFLOP to the respective screen cells. Console is merely a single screen cell, so all the while I am looking for the code to be uploaded to the console screen cell. I think this is semantic mistake in the F4F tutorial and in what I previously wrote.

Which brings me to my conclusion. When I press Upload Channel, the config/flash screen cell displays Input: Encoder Output: No output. This is not what I need at all. I need Input: No input, Output: Step/Dir. I am more convinced than ever the problem lies with me Downloading Channel incorrectly

To get started setup the config screen but don't upload or download anything. Then open the step response screen and setup the velocity, acceleration, and jerk parameters. Then you would fill in the blanks for the move/step commands at the bottom of the screen. That would be the time allowed for the move up to 3.5 seconds and how many steps to move. Say 1000 steps at 2 seconds to start. Then hit the move button. If everything is configured correctly the parameters will be downloaded to k-flop and the motor will move that many steps and then move back that same amount. Also when you hit upload on the config screen you are writing over your config and moving it back to default. You need to setup that screen and hit download to move your parameters into k-flop not upload.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I am more convinced than ever the problem lies with me Downloading Channel incorrectly
    Well this was not the problem at all. Lol.

I finally got everything ironed out and at the end the culprit the entire time was an incorrectly wired stepper motor. I read the wiring diagram wrong.

The good news is I have a much better understanding of how KMotion.exe works and the KFlop in general. I definitely learned more from failure here. I was forced to go over everything in detail instead of "just making it move." So theres that.

I intend on doing a more complete write up after I eat dinner and take a break. Hopefully people can read this and learn a little about how to setup, or rather how not to setup KMotion.

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    To get started setup the config screen but don't upload or download anything. Then open the step response screen and setup the velocity, acceleration, and jerk parameters. Then you would fill in the blanks for the move/step commands at the bottom of the screen. That would be the time allowed for the move up to 3.5 seconds and how many steps to move. Say 1000 steps at 2 seconds to start. Then hit the move button. If everything is configured correctly the parameters will be downloaded to k-flop and the motor will move that many steps and then move back that same amount. Also when you hit upload on the config screen you are writing over your config and moving it back to default. You need to setup that screen and hit download to move your parameters into k-flop not upload.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    When I finally got it to work I was uploading in the Config/Flash screen and then going to Step/Response and using the defaut parameters and pressing Move. I was able to get it to move to a point and come back as you say.

I am going to try your method when I get back from dinner and running a few errands. Thanks for the response.

Ok, so earlier I thought I was having problems Downloading the Config/flash settings in KMotion executive to the KFLOP. Well, the short answer is I might have been having that problem, due to an earlier error on my part, but more importantly I had the stepper motor wired incorrectly so it's likely that I had the had been sending step/dir signals for many hours. Its also likely that I inadvertently messed something up and by the time I arrived at the conclusion I wasn't Downloading to KFLOP maybe I wasn't....or maybe I was....or maybe I was and I had set something else incorrect in the countless iterations I had tried in the hours leading up to victory.

Here is Tom's reply to me with some useful information for people learning about KMotion and KFLOP:

That shouldn't be the issue at this stage.

I suspect you Flashed some wrong configuration to KFLOP. We don't recommend you Flash anything to KFLOP for this very reason. You can set everything back to defaults by Re-Flashing "New Version" on the Config/Flash Screen. Then cycle KFLOP power. Then only set IO 8 and 9 as outputs and toggle IO 8. The voltage should toggle between about 0.5V and 2.8V and the Gecko should microstep.

HTH
    Regards

TK
    I will paste my reply once I did as he instructed:

Tom,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I may be using the word flash incorrectly. All I have done is Download Channel, which I took to mean flash the board.

Regardless, I did as you said and Flashed New Version to the board. Then:

Channel: 0
    Axis Modes: Input: No input
    Output: Step Dir

Input Channel: 0
    Output Channel: 8

Then I pressed Downlaod Channel.

The digital I/O screen cell was left to defaut i/o 8 and 9.

I have the step connected to JP7 15, dir connected to JP7 16, and JP7 26 to COM.

Just as you said when I toggle i/o 8 the voltage toggles between ~.5V and 2.8V. So everything seems to be in order, except no movement. I have my hand on the stepper shaft and I don't feel anything, yet I can plainly see the voltage toggle on my multimeter.

Not sure what the problem could be.
    Ok, so now we know what to look for to confirm we are getting step/dir signals. While the motor should micro-step when the output is toggled on/off, we can confirm with a mulitmeter that the correct signals are being sent regardless of the action of the motor. In this case I opened the Digital I/O screen (after making changes to Config/flash detailed above) and I turn i/o 8 off and back on by checking the box; i/o 8 is JP7 pin 15 on the KFLOP which I have connected to the step terminal on my G203V. So, I simply put the negative multimeter probe on COM on the Gecko (which is connected to JP7 pin 26 - a digital ground) and the positive on step and watch for a reading when I toggle on/off in the Digital I/O screen in KMotion. Which brings us to my reply to myself about a half hour later:

Well, since I knew the KFLOP was sending an adequate signal to the Gecko (thanks Tom), and I knew the Gecko had power, the only logical explanation was either the Gecko was faulty from the factory, or I had wired the motor incorrectly.

Yea.....motor was wired incorrectly....lol me. I went over the schematic again and I was reading it wrong.

Loaded everything up and toggled i/o 8 and we have micro-stepping! The neighbors probably think I am going insane as I was literally screaming with joy!

Went to the step response screen cell and clicked move with the default settings.....yahtzee! It's alive!

Thanks for the help and I will update here, and at CNCZone, as I experiment some more. I have a thread on how not to configure the KFLOP for newbies going on CNCZone....I hope it will be helpful to others in the future.
    (side note: once I figured out it was either the Gecko or something with the stepper let's just say I didn't reach for the phone to call Gecko tech support....lol)

A little while later, after cycling power on everything, I did precisely as bhurts said in post #4 and everything worked just as he said. I was able to change the parameters in Step/response and the motor ran beautifully. I also opened up KMotion CNC and manually jogged just because.

Anyhow, I have disassembled the single axis and cleaned my work area for a full 4 axis wiring w/ DIN rail, contactors, etc. More to come!