586,072 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 and 400w brushless spindle?

Post G540 and 400w brushless spindle?

So I have a g540 rev3 and im running mach3. I have a 400w brushless spindle (400W 48V Brushless Spindle Motor Kit 55mm Mount Bracket Speed Driver Controller | eBay).

The g540 and spindle each have their own power supply. Right now I control the spindle using the pot that came with it but I'd like to connect the spindle driver to the g540 so it can be controlled through mach3. I'm having trouble figuring out how this thing should be wired. I know the g540 uses pins 7, 8 and 9 for VFD output and since the pot on the spindle driver only uses 3 wires I thought it should be simple enough but every time I think I've figured it out I come across something else that makes me doubt myself. I've tried a few setups with no success and I'm nervous to keep messing around because I've read several warnings saying to make sure you don't mix up the wires or I can damage the g540. Anyone know the right way to wire this thing?

Attachment 249406

Re: G540 and 400w brushless spindle?

Anyone? **crickets**

The pot is 5V, and the VFD control from the G540 is 10V I think, although that may depend on the power supply you use.

Set up the G540 for spindle control, but don't connect it to the drive until you measure 0-5V coming from the Gecko.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can replace the POT with the 3 wires from your G540 VFD. Just hook them up according to how they are on the POT now (7 to GND, 8 to VR, 9 to +V). The G540 takes the input from pin 9 and adjusts as a percentage (PWM) to the max spindle speed set in Mach3 or similar. Max speed takes full voltage from pin 9 and applies to pin 8. I have a LMS SX2 mill and did exactly that with the built in speed control POT. As long as you are not exceeding the max VFD input voltage of the G540, you are fine.

Thank you both for the advice. I did have it wired like you describe poopy, but I couldn't seem to get the spindle to spin. It works fine with the POT so maybe my problem was settings in Mach3. I'll have to do some reading and see if I can figure out what changes I need to make. Any suggestions on mach settings or links to posts I should read would be appreciated. Thanks again.

This is a good start.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko-...-settings.html
    and
    G540 VFD

After you confirm some of the settings, you can click the "spindle cw" button in the bottom right corner of Mach3. That should get the motor spinning. If not, include some screenshots of your configuration for ports and pins/motor outputs.

Making some progress.. I got it to spin.. the problem now is when I open mach the spindle starts spinning at full speed and stays there.. the only way it will stop is with the estop or when I close mach..

Attachment 249648
    Attachment 249646
    Attachment 249650

How do I control the spindle RPM in mach? I tried pressing the spindle cw button but it did nothing.. spindle just kept going at full speed.. or what I assume to be full speed based on how it sounds relative to full speed using the POT.

Couple things to experiment with. Change min PWM to 1%. Change the Step Low Active to disabled. Change Step and Dir ports to 1 like the stepper motors.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.. got it working!! Disabling the Step Low Active is what did it. Thanks for the help. If you ever find yourself in central MA I'd be happy to give you a clean pair of pants!

Hello,
    I have a same brushless spindle but only the motor. I want to use with different driver. I have two types, on has 15V between Hall- and Hall+, other has 5V.
    Can you please measure the voltage on your driver between Hall+ and Hall- ?.
    Thanks in advance.

Istvan