587,925 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > found xy table... want to make into wood router

found xy table... want to make into wood router

This seems like a pretty nice xy table, I think it came from an industrial sewing machine. The threads don't seem to be ACME, any guesses?

It has about 10.5x10.5 of motion. I think the motors (not shown) are 450 oz unipolar steppers.

I'm considering mounting it to replace the Y and Z axis on top of a Solsylva table with the the goal of routing dimensional lumber or making small parts out of plywood/mdf.

My motivation is purely for hobby purposes. Suggestions welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 10.30.53 PM.png   Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 10.31.48 PM.png  

Looks like multi-start rolled acme...

As best I can tell, it is 1 start. Regardless, I think I have a pretty solid plan for it.Embedded Acquisition Systems shows a nice example of mounting a wood router to a micromill z-axis. I'm planning to build an enclosure around it, swap the steppers with smaller Xylotex steppers then add the Harbor Freight z-axis and spindle.

Here is a pic of how they mounted a wood router.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2010-06-20 at 9.23.08 AM.png  

I have scrounged my Y and Z axis off an old blueprint reducing machine so your hardware looks very doable.

Have you checked the nuts for backlash? If they've done a few hundred miles on an industrial sewing machine they might be a tad worn.

It would be a shame to build a machine around hese parts if they're worn.

The parts that I obtained had been used extensively but with extremely light mechanical loads, just moving lenses and stuff and subsequently have little actual wear and very minimal backlash.

One of the nuts has something hanging out of it. Not sure if I should leave it alone or dig in to see what's going on. Probably the latter.

I stuck a dial indicator on it and am trying to measure backlash by hand. No conclusions yet, other than it seems pretty smooth, I can make it go to any number I want on the thousandths of inch scale. I think I can simulate steps by making a mark on the timing gear then moving it forward a few ticks then back to its original position.

I would be willing to bet the screw is multi-start. It is hart to tell if you can't see the end of the screw. The nuts are probably anti-backlash. If the nut has a small spring wrapped around one end, that's what it is.

John