587,172 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

foldable cnc table

Hi,

Ive been making my 3 axis cnc router from MDF and upgrading it now and again for about a year now, and want to get the car back in my garage too!

I was thinking of making a cnc table where the gantry moves up to one end and then the table folds up against the wall, with the gantry left up at the ceiling, facing out towards the middle of the room. (A bit like a murphy bed setup but when verticle the upper surface points out rather then in towards the wall, purely because of i need the gantry to face out from the wall)

Thinking about using a vertical garage door hinge system and using some foldable tressles to support it when in use.

Has anyone else tried this?
    It would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Adam

Wow, sounds pretty cool. A piano hinge the width of the table would hold the 2 sides at the same height.

My concern would be the flatness of the table when in use

Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post

(A bit like a murphy bed setup but when verticle the upper surface points out rather then in towards the wall, purely because of i need the gantry to face out from the wall)
    Adam - Is this sort of a UK-thing??? (No disrepect - I like the idea and need something similar - the fold up -- I get 1/2 my garage back!) I write that as another 'Brit member was working a similar idea/project a year or so back - (?Geoff - maybe?). Seems like it was listed/posted under "vertical mill/vertical cnc or something" -- Might do a look see.
    He was going to do a canteleivered system off a concrete wall (at a uni - as I recall). As I recall it would fold flat to the wall - the table up and the gantry ïn.
    Anyhow - cool idea - flatness & rigidity will all be hurdles to suss out - but do-able I'd think. Keep us all posted - useful idea I'd say.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

try checking out this page. It's a GREAT idea for reclaiming your garage but still being able to do CNC machining.

http://solsylva.com/cnc/17x20x4.shtml

Anything can be done of course, but I would wonder about alignment issues. Rigid is king in cnc and the more you have it fold up the more weak points you create. You may want to consider building a vertical cnc machine. With the use of counter weights you erase any penalties with going vertical. My next build is going to be a 2x2 or 2x3 but for my 3rd machine I really want something in the range of a 4x4 to 4x8 and I'm thinking vertical will be the way to go. So please do all the ingenious thinking for me so when it comes time for me to build one I can use your ideas...lol

I made a collapsible CNC since I don't have a permanent space to leave my CNC. Alignment is my main battle with this, takes a little bit of setup time that can me a hassle. My next machine will be a lot easier to setup with minimal to no alignment needed during setup, making it a true portable "backpack" CNC machine...hopefully
    http://www.nicksantillan.com/tools-CNC.html

Quote Originally Posted by nicanor76 View Post
    I made a collapsible CNC since I don't have a permanent space to leave my CNC. Alignment is my main battle with this, takes a little bit of setup time that can me a hassle. My next machine will be a lot easier to setup with minimal to no alignment needed during setup, making it a true portable "backpack" CNC machine...hopefully
    http://www.nicksantillan.com/tools-CNC.html
    I like the design, almost looks like it can walk lol... I can see how alignment would be an issue. Pretty cool overall.

If you wan;t more floor space try this site
    http://www.otocoup.com/Photos_e.htm