587,517 active members*
3,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Flexo's Ongoing WMD25LV Project

Flexo's Ongoing WMD25LV Project

Hi All,

In this thread I'll gradually add all the projects I've done to my Weiss WMD25LV Machine. If you arent aware, its basically the same as the G0704, and sold under various other names with minor differences - mainly in spindle taper.

To start off with, the column support mod!

I had done this mod to a short table version of this machine, so theres a few remnants left over. The support is 200x150x10mm structural steel. It's a pain in the ass to buy short lengths. Approx weight is 35kg (machine column is only 22kg).

I wanted the holes drilled in accurate positions (previously done by hand - was a nightmare), so popped the hunk of steel on the machine:

Attachment 181104

I found you needed a way of relieving the strain of the added weight on the column (tended to pull backwards), also double as tramming aids:

Attachment 181105

Column with bolts attached:

Attachment 181106

With the column assembled. There are 2 additional supports on either side. These are mostly unnecessary, and a bit of a pain to install - they need to be welded in place while bolted (to reduce warping later).

Attachment 181107

Misc hardware. I use 2 "L" brackets to secure the column to the machine base/stand:

Attachment 181108

The receiving area. I've made a large enclosure with steel plate to bolt everything to, but you could achieve good results with a solid bench:

Attachment 181109

And installed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side-supports.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	181110

Results in next post...
    http://www.hmsnz.co.nz

Before starting this project I wanted to take some measurements to see what's going on - applying a side load to the head and measuring deflection. All measurements where taken with the head extended to the top, and jibs locked.

Based on a 20kg (44lb) side force applied to the front of the head WITHOUT the additional support (at the Quill DRO recess - approx 275mm from the column = to 5.5kg-m or ~54nm), measured at:

Front Side of the head: 0.3mm Deflection (0.6mm side to side total)
    Z Saddle Side (where the head attaches): 0.08mm
    Centre of Column: 0.05mm

WITH Support Column attached:

Attachment 181588

Final result is a 5x decrease in movement, from worst case of 0.3mm to 0.06mm. Once the jibs a loosened to allow movement, it will likely introduce a bit more play. The main hindrance to rigidity now, is the strength of the dovetails & slide. Not much you can do about that!

It improved the cut quality & accuracy - especially in Y Axis profile cuts, which caused the head to deflect the most. You should be able to achieve a similar result with a smaller support column, and no attachments on the side.

Another thing I wanted to do was a bearing cooler, doubling as a coolant router. This is standard practice with machine tool spindles (CNC ones at least). The big 65mm taper roller gets toasty! No amount of cooling is going to save a bearing from high speed wear, though!

Attachment 181590

Inputs for Air & Coolant

Attachment 181589

Clamps onto the R8 housing (the same as on the G0704)

Attachment 181591

The proximity of the nozzles to the spindle makes it hard to grab the tool for release.

I might try this again with direct contact of the coolant to the spindle (this would be tricky - orings needed) & a single piece design.

Here's my soldidworks files: Attachment 181592

Great looking machine! I may have to attempt something like that in the future. What kind of spindle motor is that? It looks like a big servo, if so where'd you get it and how are you driving it/what are the voltage requirements. I'm looking to replace my stock motor soon...

It's a 1.5kw BLDC motor (6000rpm). Pretty major overkill for this machine! There's a 1kw version which is about the max you'd want on this size mill. Only run off 200-240v unfortunately

Some test videos here:https://www.youtube.com/user/NZHMS?feature=mhee

Re: Flexo's Ongoing WMD25LV Project

What sort of pump do you have for the coolant? Looks to be very high pressure!