587,773 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > First use of CamBam - observations

Hybrid View

First use of CamBam - observations

Today I installed CamBam for the 40 use free trial. I loaded a simple 2D DXF file that I had created with MasterCam. I found it fairly easy to create the toolpaths and g-code for this part (a model engine connecting rod with 2 bearing holes, a lengthwise pocket, and an exterior profile).

There were only a few quibbles I found in working on this simple part:

a) In one case I neglected to enter the spindle speed for a drill operation. I think a warning would be appropriate, but CB was happy to generate a S0 in the g-code. Since they sell a CB/CutViewer bundle I believe that you'd want CutViewer or a similar emulation package to detect tool crashes.

b) The default feed and plunge rates are quite high for most hobby mills. It would be nice to be able to easily change these globally.

c) The program doesn't let me specify an O program number. This is not important for Mach3; however code generated with the Fanuc post processor needs one.

d) My drawing had dimensions with the diameter symbol in two places. CB rendered the symbol as %%C.

d) My drawing had dimensions with the diameter symbol in two places. CB rendered the symbol as %%C.
    %%C is what gives you the diameter symbol in AutoCAD. So what you're seeing is correct.

http://www.cadtutor.net/faq/question...ext+in+AutoCAD.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Question

Some more issues/questions:

a) My drawing has a profile that contains straight lines intersecting with arcs leaving an "interior corner". The computed toolpath cuts into either line. Is there a way to prevent the cutter edge from crossing the profile line? One possibility would be to draw a smooth fillet at each corner, which would be easy in Mastercam but not obvious in CB.

b) Is there a way to generate cutter comp for the toolpath? Similarly, can it generate G43 H? on tool changes?

fanuc

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    Some more issues/questions:

a) My drawing has a profile that contains straight lines intersecting with arcs leaving an "interior corner". The computed toolpath cuts into either line. Is there a way to prevent the cutter edge from crossing the profile line? One possibility would be to draw a smooth fillet at each corner, which would be easy in Mastercam but not obvious in CB.

b) Is there a way to generate cutter comp for the toolpath? Similarly, can it generate G43 H? on tool changes?
    In the machining choice in the "tree" pick the fanuc post processor to get tool length offset with g43.

Under that, in "post processor macros" give it a $o=(o#). In other words $o=0020 will give it O number 20.

To change global feeds and speeds, just set them in a MOP, right click on the MOP (machine op) and "copy mop to template". This will copy them to the "default" template.

Go to "template" at the top, right above the graphics screen in the middle. Highlight "default" and type a new template name and press enter. Pick the choice to make a new template. Copying mops you set up to various templates can have different feeds and speeds (or whatever) for various templates. I have my commonly used tools and materials set up in different templates.

Cam Bam won't do a side comp yet.

You could ->try<- converting your diameter symbol to polylines. Highlight text, then edit -> convert to -> polylines

Before you profiled your corners did you join your polylines?

Hope this helps.