587,129 active members*
3,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

First machine build after 5 year break (pics)

Hello all,
    I started this machine about 6 years ago and then life hapened!
    I knew then where I was going with it however after a five years away from it I can't remember a dang thing!
    I am not sure where to be posting this, as this is my first post. I built this mchine as a lurker, reading and gathering info on the web however I lost that old computer that had everything stored on it.
    So I am starting from scratch and am hoping to share progress pics, I know I am going to need your help as I go !!!!!
    The screws are acme 1/2 8 double starts and the nuts are a spring compressed nylon assembly forgot where they came from... the steppers are tormach 640 oz. I remember I was planning on geko drivers? and now I am getting lost and wondering .....
    I have a lot of the mechanicals to finish and will post pics as I go, I did a lot of lost foam casting early on in this build, hopefully I can complete this machine without to much more of that!!!!
    Thank you so much Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014 copy.jpg   016 copy.jpg   021 copy.jpg  

some more pics

A few more pics....
    Thanks again tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 copy.jpg   019 copy.jpg  

some more pics

Thanks all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 012 copy.jpg   015 copy.jpg   023 copy.jpg  

The anti-backlash lead screw nuts look like they came from DumpsterCNC.com. I've used them on two machine builds with no issues at all.

This is the right place to post this. Welcome back to CNC building.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Thank you carve one

Hello all,
    Had some time this week and have been working on getting the motor mounted for the y axis . My machine is similar to many others however my use of 1 3/4" tubing to tie the side rails together created some different design problems.
    I intend to use one motor to drive 2 screws, while this is not the simplest aproach for a machine I hope ultimately it will work.
    Carve one thanks for jogging my memory, and thoughtfully posting on my build!
    Pics included
    I welcome all you talented peoples input!
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 017.jpg   016.jpg   014.jpg   012.jpg  

011.jpg   010.jpg   006.jpg   007.jpg  

009.jpg   004.jpg   002.jpg  

Poor mans tapping fixture

I converted an old drill press into a hand tapping fixture to keep my threading accurate
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007.jpg   008.jpg  

Once you CNC you can't go back. Your return was inevitable.

Here are some pics of the bearing suports for the y axis , these will suport the timing pulleys at each end of the table wich will in turn be driven by the centrally located motor

Tanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   005.jpg   008.jpg   009.jpg  

HOME BUILT BANDSAW

Hello again,
    Here is a pic of my home built vertical bansaw , been using it a lot for this build.
    thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg  

nice job on the saw

Thanks Kevin

Looking good! Great job on the bandsaw asd drill press as well!

Thanks louie,

It's nice to know people are looking.

You would be amazed at how many people take a look. I learn from every single project and picture people post, perhaps the most from the "rework".

I am starting to think about my multi year project again as well.

MORE PROGRESS PICS

Hello all,
    A few more pics of the progress I have made in the last few days.
    I have a question ; I will soon be done with the mehanics of this build and will need help with the electronics portion where do I post those questions?

Thanks, Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 copy.jpg   002 copy.jpg   003 copy.jpg   006.jpg  

007.jpg   009.jpg  

another pic or two

Some mor pics,
    Have one side done , now have to install all the other parts on the other side!
    First side was fun second side is feeling like work! :violin::violin:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.jpg   010.jpg   014.jpg  

One more ?

I have the y axis driven by pulleys , does the x axis need some sort of rubber/vibration absorbing mount ? Suggestions ?

Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    I have a question ; I will soon be done with the mehanics of this build and will need help with the electronics portion where do I post those questions?
    You can post them here, or if your question is on a specific driver, say Gecko, post it in that forum. Otherwise post in general electronics.
    General Electronics Discussion - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

I have a qustion too. Why did you decide to put a nut on the inside of the bolt instead of just tapping the bolt it to the steel frame? I.E. First pic of post #16.

amish,
    It is tapped through the steel , and then nutted on th backside as a jamb nut, all of my connections are double nutted to eleminate superficial problems, when things are'nt working out the way I want, later on I don't want loose mechanicals to be the cause of the infection...( kind of like a nuts and bolt Flue Shot) When I am done every nut will be replaced by a nylock, double security , cheap insurance!!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    amish,
    It is tapped through the steel , and then nutted on th backside as a jamb nut, all of my connections are double nutted to eleminate superficial problems, when things are'nt working out the way I want, later on I don't want loose mechanicals to be the cause of the infection...( kind of like a nuts and bolt Flue Shot) When I am done every nut will be replaced by a nylock, double security , cheap insurance!!
    Tom
    Great idea! I'll have to do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123