587,245 active members*
3,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Final Pics of my 4x8

Here are a round of better quality pics of my 4x8 project.

Now I just have to find some projects and put some miles on it to see how well the design will hold up..

Seems like it will do just fine. The gantry and all are very ridgid.

New in the pics is how I did the limit switches.... Did the X limits a little different then the others with small ramps and roller rocker switches. This is so the switch does not have to be involved with an impact if the gantry goes past the limit. Just rolls up and back down the ramp. Also with this arrangement I can use the same switch for x+ or x- home incase I want to make x0 and y0 in the opposit corner of the table (have 2 home switches on Y so I can home to either side depending on how the software is setup.

Also added a small spring to prevent Z from diving into the table as quick when the servos are offline. might have to add a stiffer one though..

Also added a second row of aluminum extrusion backing up the Y rods. Along with some beefier bolts and hardware. Don't know if it needed it but I had the piece and figured better to add it now then later..

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aDSCF0121.JPG   ADSCF0122.JPG   aDSCF0123.JPG   aDSCF0125.JPG  

aDSCF0126.JPG   aDSCF0128.JPG   aDSCF0132.jpg   aDSCF0133.JPG  

aDSCF0134.JPG   aDSCF0135.JPG   aDSCF0136.JPG  

mighty fine sir!!!
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

What do you think the final cost was?

Still putting the final cost together.. But lots of the steel came free from the plant I'm working at for the moment and gave my boss a list of mcmaster car parts I wanted one day (as a joke) and they showed up at my desk the next.... That alone acounted for around 800 dollars worth of it. So for the moment figure around 8-900 dollars worth of odds and ends from mc master car..

A lot of my aluminum was free as well. And I got a killer deal on that DSCR-16 stage (only paid 125 for that with the supports)

Don't think I paid more then 140 for the 3/4" and 1" (by60" long) thompson rods.

b.

Plus I only paid 75 bucks for that thompson 10:1 planetary gear drive on ebay as well.

So my actual total (if I came up with one) would hardly be actual or fair..hehe I got real luck in sevaral areas during the build.

b.

An excellent machine, congrats on its completion.

Jason

SO How Much?

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Still putting the final cost together.. b.
    Just wondering if you've had the time to put those costs together?
    Maybe slipped to bottom of the to-do pile?

:cheers: Jim

I'm trying to put together a "what it costs - for what size" comparison. You know, the question everyone asks at the "beginning." You can pm if need be.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.