587,258 active members*
2,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question FANUC coding compatability??

Hey guys, I have Turbo CNC up and running reasonably well. I'm running a HOBBY CNC driver board and get pretty decent speeds and don't lose any steps. Now, as I "expand" into actual drawings, I have BOB CAD-CAM that I got on a super deal from BOBCAD. My question is that I can't find any references to FANUC CNC files, coding or drivers. Does anyone have a web-based reference to learn about Fanuc? Or is Fanuc the "standard" g-code protocol? I've never had any training and am learning this all on my own in my old age as a hobby/"keep me out of the bars" endeavor. Any info about Fanuc would be greatly appreciated.

You don't necessarily need Fanuc. The standard for CNC g-code m-code programming is known as the EIA RS-244 standard and was developed originally for use with the punched tape with any CNC machine.
    The codes use varies slightly depending on the machine i.e. Plasma, Mill, lathe, EDM etc. but generally they all conform to the the same standard.
    There are a whole raft of books out there as well as web based assitance for learning. Two excellent books are Computer Numerical Control Programming by michael Sava & Joseph Pusztai, and Computer Numerical Control by Warren Seames, this last one is printed by SME association. Also if you have access to any machine/controller's programming manual, that will also have all the codes with explanations.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Question Thanks, but

Thanks, Al. I guess I didn't make my question very clear. I actually just wnat to know what kind of g-codes are compatible with my current set=up. Does Fanuc type g-code, like that in BOBCAD-CAM need to be recompiled/interpreted in order to drive my TURBO CNC/HOBBY CNC setup? Or can I simply convert the cad file to g-code and press on?

I am not familiar with Turbo CNC, but if your control is compatible with Fanuc, and you know specifically what Fanuc controller is compatible, then you chose a suitable post-processor in Bobcad to convert the code to.
    Most CAD/CAM programs come with several common post-processors and also have the ability to customize one if your control requires it.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.