587,214 active members*
3,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc 6M model D !

Hi,

I'm new in CNC world, my only experience is that I built a simple DIY router and controlled by MACH3 a year ago. that's it.
    Just started reading "CNC Programing Handbook".

Now in front of me an old machine. system 6M model D.
    The main problem is there are NO MANUALS !!! (operator, maintenance, programing...etc) I don't even know how many of them!

I'm temporarily using "FANUC OI-MC PARAMETER MANUAL" to get the alarm list, although some are not included.
    Wish if you could paste links about different types of Fanuc models and systems ^^" .

First: Anybody has the manuals scanned in PDF? or any alternatives ?
    (P.S. : No Fanuc branch here)

Also, I need to get the parameters, specifications and any other important data from the machine as a back-up in case of anything.

Second: I didn't know how to program it to recognize tools offsets and Z, some G-codes are not recognized because the machine is too old.(No manuals ).

Third: How can I connect it to a PC and download a G-coded program instead of writing it in [EDIT]?any hardware needed beside the PC?

Found some good posts from users like "A the man", "fordav11" and many others.
    Many other questions in the way ^_^
    Sorry for my bad English, not my native.

Thanx

-FOX

The RS232 posts in this forum for Fanuc machines are fairly universal across the entire Fanuc range. So if you read a few of the RS232 transfer posts you will know more about what is required.
    you can connect the machine via a standard RS232 cable wired like this....
    Machinery RS232 communications settings for CNC controls including fanuc and mitsubishi
    when I say 'standard' I mean a standard CNC transfer cable like the one in the above link not a PC type serial cable.

First you need to check the parameters and see what they are set to.
    Parameter 310 to 313 has the stop bits in bit4, baud rate in bits 0, 1, 2 and 3
    and bit5 tells it to use Xon/Xoff or not (handshaking)
    Parameter 340 sets the input device. Parameter 341 sets the output device.

Because you are new your mind probably just blew up.... don't worry.
    Press PARAM button. Use page buttons to navigate to the above parameters.
    Type here what you have in parameter 310 to 313 and 340 and 341....

i.e.
    310 to 313 might be something like 00001000 (Xon/Xoff, 1 stop bit, 2400 baud)
    340 and 341 should be 2 (I/O device 2.... which is the first RS232 device)

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    The RS232 posts in this forum for Fanuc machines are fairly universal across the entire Fanuc range. So if you read a few of the RS232 transfer posts you will know more about what is required.
    you can connect the machine via a standard RS232 cable wired like this....
    Machinery RS232 communications settings for CNC controls including fanuc and mitsubishi
    when I say 'standard' I mean a standard CNC transfer cable like the one in the above link not a PC type serial cable.
    That was useful, thank you.
    A normal cable won't work as I can see.
    I intend to modify a cable, with an aid of a friend of mine.I'm a mech. eng. and he's an elec. one.
    Found good stuff but it's all about A and B models, nothing about D model.
    What are the differences between the models?
    Tomorrow I'll be there and I'll write the parameters.

But still, I have to find solutions to for the other problems

Thanx again

-FOX

Can you post the software version, as well as the motherboard part#?
    I have heard of A, B and C, but never a D model.

the other problems are very easy to solve. first get your machine hooked up to a PC and the transfer working both ways send and receive.

the difference between A, B and D (if it exists) is mostly in hardware technology. As far a operating and programming are concerned it's just a common Fanuc 6

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    Can you post the software version, as well as the motherboard part#?
    I have heard of A, B and C, but never a D model.
    Well, I can upload a picture of the machine if you want to.

Software version can be known just when I turn ON and read it from the screen, Am I right?

How can I know a board is the motherboard you mean ?

Thanks

Yes, the software version is displayed while the control powers up.
    The master/mother board # is usually at the top of the 18x12" board into which the other 6x12'" boards are plugged in. Ours is A20B-0008-0040, but others exist, such as A20B-0008-0410.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    Yes, the software version is displayed while the control powers up.
    The master/mother board # is usually at the top of the 18x12" board into which the other 6x12'" boards are plugged in. Ours is A20B-0008-0040, but others exist, such as A20B-0008-0410.
    Series 943
    Version 07

Board #: A20B - 0008 - 041 "0/08D"

Type here what you have in parameter 310 to 313 and 340 and 341....

i.e.
    310 to 313 might be something like 00001000 (Xon/Xoff, 1 stop bit, 2400 baud)
    340 and 341 should be 2 (I/O device 2.... which is the first RS232 device)
    310 00110010
    311 00111000
    312 00111000
    313 00111001

340 2
    341 3

Quote Originally Posted by F.O.X View Post
    310 00110010
    311 00111000
    312 00111000
    313 00111001

340 2
    341 3
    it looks like you have two RS232 ports on your machine (?) because the input device and output device are different.

at this stage you don't need to change any parameters but 341 should be 2 and 310 to 313 should be 00011000

Please check your setting page and list here what you have for ....
    TV CHECK (should be 0)
    PUNCH CODE (should be set to ISO)
    INPUT DEVICE 1 (should be set to RMT)
    INPUT DEVICE 2 (should be set to RS232)

The output device is listed on the 2nd page. The setting screen has at least 2 pages and many items listed. It may be easier to take a photo of the 2 screens and attach them here.

Based on the parameters you have, your machine is set so it is not using Xon/Xoff.
    Stop bits is 2
    Baud rate is 2400

make your cable, set the PC transfer software to even parity, 2 stop bits and 2400 baud then try to transfer a program both punch and read.
    Let us know the outcome of the test.

it looks like you have two RS232 ports on your machine (?) because the input device and output device are different.

make your cable, set the PC transfer software to even parity, 2 stop bits and 2400 baud then try to transfer a program both punch and read.
    Let us know the outcome of the test.
    ..OK I'm back

There are two ports one is RS232 and the other I couldn't recognize ... well, look at the first attached picture.

About the cable, I want to ask if the port may be modified by the first owner, because the sittings are already done and I took a look at the backside of the port and found some welded wires and I'm not sure if it was done by the company or the previous owner! 2nd attached pic.
    note that the blue wire is connecting three pins.

* Sorry for the bad quality, cell phone camera.

I found some useful documents like the one I attached in PDF.
    This is the sittings in it and they are identical without changing :
    TV CHECK = 0
    PUNCH CODE = 1
    INPUT DEVICE 1 = 1
    INPUT DEVICE 2 = 1

Forgot to take pictures of the sittings, I only got the parameters, tomorrow I'll get it.
    About the PC transfer software, any recommended software?

P.S: the upload system isn't working so I used a host website.
    Many thanks

for now assume the wiring is ok and don't mess with it.
    for cnc transfer software there are many. but for now use this free program....
    CAD CAM CNC software solutions by OneCNC CAD/CAM

Fanuc 6 control

Quote Originally Posted by F.O.X View Post
    Series 943
    Version 07

Board #: A20B - 0008 - 041 "0/08D"

There are three types of 6 control.
    6 A Master pcb is A16B-0007-0010 (it has many ROM chips in it)
    6 B Master pcb is A20B-0008-0410
    6 B II It is called "level up" Master pcb is A16B-1000-0030
    When you had a double turret machine, the control would be called 6 C .
    As for the T and M , like 6MB or 6TB M = Machining center. T = turning .
    The board that you have is a 6 B control. A20B-0008-0410. The number that appears after the 0410 is the version number of the pcb.
    The blue connector is used for long distance communication.
    For now use the DB25 connector.
    Check the following

SETTING PAGE

PUNCH CODE = 1 (0:EIA 1:ISO)
    INPUT DEVICE 1 = 0 (0:TAPE 1:RMT)
    INPUT DEVICE 2 = 1 (1:RS232C)

PARAMETERS

007 = 0XXXXXXX 6T
    008 = 0XXXXXXX 6M
    311 = 10011001 (baud rate is 4800 and stop bit is 2)
    340 = 2
    341 = 2

Regards

Alex

Selecting 6M input and output devices

Alexfanuc, tell me more about 'Input Device 1' and 'Input device 2'. I am very confused. I realise we are selecting between the tape reader and the rs232 port, but when you press the 'read' button which is used under what circumstances, and how is the selection affected by the settings in params 340 & 341 which afaics also set input and output devices?

As I said ..... I'm confused !!!!!

BTW the blue Honda connector is for output to the Facit 4070 or to a teletype - I assume the Teletype connection is a 20mA current loop at 110 baud but can find no documentaqtion on it. I actually got a Facit 4070 workong on mine yesterday.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Quote Originally Posted by awemawson View Post
    Alexfanuc, tell me more about 'Input Device 1' and 'Input device 2'. I am very confused. I realise we are selecting between the tape reader and the rs232 port, but when you press the 'read' button which is used under what circumstances, and how is the selection affected by the settings in params 340 & 341 which afaics also set input and output devices?

As I said ..... I'm confused !!!!!

BTW the blue Honda connector is for output to the Facit 4070 or to a teletype - I assume the Teletype connection is a 20mA current loop at 110 baud but can find no documentaqtion on it. I actually got a Facit 4070 workong on mine yesterday.
    When you select Device 1, you are using the tape reader. If you do not have a tape, then don´t worry about it.
    If you are using the RS232 port, then you must select the device 2.
    Parameter 340 selects an input device on registering a program in memory, in this case you are selecting a 2 which means the parameters you are going to use are located in parameter 311. Param 311 being the baud rate, stop bit, .
    Parameter 341 selects an output device.
    So, if you want to output a program, you must be in EDIT mode. then you must be in the PROGRAM page and then if you want to output program number 104, you would type O104 and then push the key (PUNCH). Your computer would be connected to the RS232 port and ready to receive the program.
    If you want to upload a program into the control, you would type the program number you want to enter, that is, O105 or any other number, (always in EDIT mode) and then push the key (READ) in the control.
    At this time, if everything is ok, you would see the EDIT word in the lower side of the screen.
    Regards
    Alex

6M settings page versus parameters

Alexfanuc thanks for that - much appreciated.

OK I have an RS232 connection that I can sucessfully both load programs into the 6M and dump back to the PC. I also have now a working tape reader and tape punch that again I can sucessfully punch then read back. What I would like to be able to do is select between the two forms of media without having to enable the parameter switch and change parameters. I had rather hoped that the entries on the settings page might allow this - is it possible?
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

you can select different devices as long as they are plugged into different ports.
    if tape is in port 1 with parameters for port 1 set correctly and rs232 is in port 2 with parameters for port 2 set correctly you can use the SETTING page to switch your input and output device.
    if they are plugged into the same port you have to physically plug and unplug the devices and change parameters.
    RS232 supersedes tape. you dont really need both unless you have old tapes. in that case load the tape into the CNC and punch out to RS232. do that for all tapes and you wont need tapes any more.

But the tape reader is inbuilt in the 6M with a 50 way ribbon cable, and the punch is external on the 20 way Honda connector, with the RS232 presented as the usual 25 way D type externally, so I rather suspect that you have a different set up in mind?
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

ah, yes, 6M with built-in tape.
    OK so you can just switch the INPUT and OUTPUT device in the setting page and all should work fine.

I must add, that you cannot punch using the tape reader of the machine. You can only read into the control.

Regards
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12