586,061 active members*
4,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 0-MD SKIP input (X008.7) and Single Block on same pin

Fanuc 0-MD SKIP input (X008.7) and Single Block on same pin

My machine has the X008.7 SKIP1 input on the same pin as Single Block mode (SBK.S), so if I try to use G31, it works correctly, but then I have to hit the start cycle to have the machine continue again.

Parameter 0017.4 is already zero (tried 1 just to see what would happen).

I also tried the X008.4 (SKIP4) input and set parameter 0033.3 to map SKIP4 to G31 P1, without success (the input was working according to the diagnostics screen).

Machine: Fanuc 0-MD without PMC

Is there anything else to try? I haven't tracked down where this is configured in the ladder logic - if I do, is there a chance I could change it or is changing the ladder going to be a nightmare?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Fanuc 0-MD SKIP input (X008.7) and Single Block on same pin

There is no problem.

The software for FS-0MD does not incorporate the G31 function. G31 for FANUC Series 0 Model D is limited to grinding machines. (FS-0GCD)

Check if X8.7 is in the ladder of your machine. The signal probably exists in the ladder because it is used to activate G116.1 in the ladder for SINGLE BLOCK.

If X8.7 is in the ladder, then the processing is too long for SKIP function. The SKIP function is usually processed directly by the CNC to reduce processing time and avoid damage to the probe or sensor and cannot be multiplexed with other inputs.

Thanks for the reply. The SKIP input is actually working on this machine, so if I can modify the ladder, I should be able to use it.

Code:
    N001 (move X +100 mm and then Y +100mm, if skip input is hit)
    N003 G31 G1 F100. G90 X100.
    N004 (If skip hit, position is in #5061 to #5064)
    N005 Y100.
    How do I modify the ladder of a machine that doesn't have a PMC card? Most of the FLADDER III documentation that I have seen lists compatibility with PMCs.

Thanks,
    Eric

FYI - here's my machine setup

• Main Controller Board - A02B-0099-B544 (FS-0MD)
    • Memory Card - A16B-2201-0101/09A
    • I/O card - A16B-2203-0110/03A
    • AXE (Axis Controller) card - A16B-2203-0020/01A (32-bit 0-C for serial pulse coder type B)
    • No PMC
    • No Graphics

ive only messed with a few 0-Ds, but aside from the 930 parameters they seem pretty similar to the C.

no pmc? if theres something set in par 905, betcha its got a pmc...ladder display may be hidden by the ladder itself (some oems do this crap) requiring a D setting or some goofy pb sequence to display... or can be disabled by parameter 60 (60 is in the book...think its bit 2 to hide ladder, but dont remember)

are there chips in sockets 0e1/0e2 on the top/outermost sockets of your memory card? those store the ladder for PMC-L...note, pmc-l dont have a separate board like pmc-m, the 'l' resides in the memory card and shares that cpu...

if the oem was being a real prick, they mighta hid the ladder, you can have anyone with a pcwriter and a p-g or fapt ladder setup read them and give you a printout- unless the oem was really poor at thinking things out, they shoulda at least put a 'd' bit in there to change the function- but you need to see the ladder to find out.

some oems also do odd things with the macro cassette(top/left 34pin socket on the backplane- yellow box sits top/left of memory board if its there) that lock functions/parameters... we had a few we had to unplug (data usually goes to ram, but long as its plugged in you cant change it...after a all clear, boot once with macro cassette plugged in, power off/remove, reboot and adjust as you wish- just keep the cassete with the machine!)

are there chips in sockets 0e1/0e2 on the top/outermost sockets of your memory card? those store the ladder for PMC-L...note, pmc-l dont have a separate board like pmc-m, the 'l' resides in the memory card and shares that cpu...
    I didn't realize that the PMC-L was built-in to the memory card -- that helps clear up my confusion immensely! Thank you! The ladder is visible, so no problems there. I'll look for the 0e1 and 0e2 EPROMS when I'm back in the shop.

I have B-66234EN/03 (FAPT LADDER-III), but no software. Looks like I need to track down Ladder-III and the programming guide B-61863E for this vintage of machine (2011 0-MD).

My background is electronics and programming, so I understand all of the pieces and can track down the EPROMS, eraser, and a burner. Where I'll fall down is trying to make sense of the Fanuc documents.

Instead of using the SKIP signal, is there any chance that the high-speed skip signal would be available and would avoid having to program a new ladder?

Thanks,
    Eric

i didnt look at a signal list, but hrh a couple posts up mentioned G116.1 as SBK... pull up the ladder, type G116.1 and 'w-srch' softkey- see if there might be a 'd' bit in there that could interrupt the G116.1 coil... if there is, type that D address and w-srch it... if not found, then it is a 'pc parameter' for lack of a better name- just a extra bit in the 'D' (non-volatile/battery backed) area of the PMC... set mdi/pwe=1/key on and you can poke those bits off or on thru the diagnostic page, just like you would a parameter... be careful not to turn any wrong bits off or on, as you could have fun figuring them out... on the C/D controls, you can output D area data just like parameters, just set your laptop to recieve, bring up diagnostic page (any) and hit output... it will punch out the D300~ whatever for backup...

the thing with the eproms is Fanuc FLADDER requires ONLY their burner... pcwriter, or fa-writer with its proper adapter socket... kinda sucks. theres a guy in here (KER-something) that supposedly has a eprom tool, but ive never seen it or heard of anyone using it- plus saw one on ebay a while back, but it was 1500 +500 shipping out of china, sounded kinda scary to me. if you have fladder I you can load the ladder into ram and run without the proms at all, but you cant download the original without a writer- typing one in from a paper copy sucks... and if running from ram, at boot you get a screen, if you hit anything but '3' the ladder disappears...there is a parameter to turn the boot screen off, but still...

if you get access to w generic prom burner and trust yourself enough to pull the 0e1/0e2 and save a binary image, you could email the data or post it in here, im sure i or someone in here could decompile it for you and repost the fanuc files for your Fladder- then you could edit/upload to ram, run as long as necessary from ram... just be careful- you hurt those eproms, youve got a boat anchor in anyone hits any key but 3 on bootup.(you can pull the 0e1/0e2 chips out- control will run normally, just has the extra boot screen). just again- if you hurt those chips, your machine is dead if the wrong key pressed...
    please note, notches down, and if you pop the chips back in, triple check, notches down...some are hard to see, long as you dont touch the rams and battery (white plug) is there, you might want to partially remove the memory card so you can see all the pins seated, etc... wrong sockets just give a parity error, but upside down fries the chip- dont go there, trust me

good luck with it- hopefully its just set a D-bit and youre done

Unfortunately, there is no D-bit between X008.7 and G116.1, so I'm stuck with either trying to modify the ladder or upgrading the whole control system (which also means that I need to replace all of the servo drives since they are coupled together). Neither option seems like a good use of my time right now, but maybe in a month or two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lilian-cnc-400-x008.7-ladder.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	248570

Linux CNC and Mach3 seems like the typical control systems - anything else that is reasonable out there (and < $1000)?

Thanks,
    Eric

Post image entirely.
    looks like D499.7 and X6.0 activates G116.1 but the picture is not complete

Here's the whole image (quality is horrible, sorry about that). I will get a new picture today. Maybe I'm misreading the ladder? I was thinking that because the first line shows X008.7 <--> G116.1, that it would override any of the other legs of the ladder since they are equivalent to OR statements. Let me know if I misunderstood the diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140906_171233.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	248624

Thanks,
    Eric

order does not matter
    one of the 8 legs must be met for the G116.1 to be on

Quote Originally Posted by viorel26 View Post
    order does not matter
    one of the 8 legs must be met for the G116.1 to be on
    Correct. What I would like is for G116.1 to *not* turn on if X008.7 (SKIP input) is turned on. Since X008.7 is wired directly to G116.1, it looks like I can't disable it using a diagnostic bit. To disable it, my understanding is that I need to modify the ladder which is quite the involved process.

Thanks,
    Eric