586,051 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

engraving with bobcad 21

What's the easiest and least expensive software to convert bitmap or eps images to vector or dxf files for custom engraving?
    I'm currently using bobcad 21 along with bobart (which seems almost useless). Any response is greatly needed!!!!!

Re: engraving with bobcad 21

There are a few software products out there that do the job in a stand-alone manner, I have not found that any of them do much better than the most recent Bobart. For what it's worth, you're working with software that is very outdated (I started with somewhere around V17 in Bobcad). If you are going to spend any money on software at all, I'd suggest that you update Bobcad and get the latest Bobart along with it. If you go to the Bobcad forum here, you can post an image and ask others who are heavy Bobart users to show you what can be done with it, and I'm sure there will be folks willing to do so.

Also, I've used a few other products for this out there, and as I said, Bobart produces similar results to the rest. The main thing is that you have to have clean graphics going in or the vectors will not be very good. Clean up any iffy images in photoshop, then vectorize them. There really is no simple way to take an image with questionable quality as the source, and end up with a clean vector file from it. Clean source produced clean results. There just isn't a shortcut if you're dealing with rough images to start with.