587,852 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC2 AS A RAPID PROTOTYPER

I wanted to know if anyone has had any success in turning your EMC2 3axis mill into a 3D printer. I have seen some postings on youtube and online showing a system working.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjhUvA3YLE"]YouTube - 3d printer with emc2 control, first test[/nomedia]

3D printer – day 2 | anderswallin.net

I know there has also be some discussion regarding using some of the opensource STL file converters Example (Skeinforge, Repsnapper) however the G-code produced need to be modified somewhat. Right now I have a running 3 axis system using a mesa 5i20 card. I have room to add another A axis this to handle an extruder. Does anyone know if someone has made a STL to Gcode program that will work well with EMC2?? Can one of the open source varieties be modified to slice a model and generate the correct code???. Are there any system setups with EMC2 to get started with?

Just wanted to get this thread started and see what people have as solutions.

Thanks

I can't wait to see how this developes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgnxBaFFDi8"]YouTube - Linear delta-robot test[/nomedia]

sam

I may have faulty memory - but I thought I saw somewhere that someone was trying to do a reprap port that would allow you to use the reprap designer and post output as EMC2 g-code.

I'd like to build a unit that was about double the size of a standard "Mendel" with about 3x finer resolution.

However - if the G-code port is done it would be a simple swap to put an extruder head on a router platform and have at it.

Have a look at this one.....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snOErpOP5Xk"]YouTube - 3D Printer - High Resolution - Homemade - DIY[/nomedia]

From what I've read a small handful have definitly been working towards this with some success though I don't think I've run into any new information from the past few months.

I'm in the research and concept-proving stage for a project similar to this myself. Sorry, I don't have anything to show just yet, but I just couldn't resist saying "ME TOO!!!"

I started playing with EMC with a simple home-build concept mill about 9 years ago and it's been shelved for most of that time.

Now I want to pick it all up again and use EMC2 as a corner stone for a number of projects.

First is likely to be a 3D printer (ala RepStrap) built up from various repurposed parts.

I'm doing the initial exploration at the moment playing with the following.

- Learning the EMC2 HAL
    - Interfacing of various steppers, servos and encoders with their associated electronic drivers
    - Mechanical devices used with the above to provide linear motion
    - Temperature Control/Feedback
    - PID tuning for the above motion and temperature devices

I'd really like to turn some of this into a small collection of tutorials around some simple black-box reverse engineering and then moving forward with the build. No promises though as I may just get impatient and build without documenting as much as I'd like.

I'll post a link a little later when I've had time to build up the detail.

I'd love to get this going! Would happily develop the printhead and post results but the software side is beyond me, would need that sort of ready made.
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

So I've started moving forward with this with a bit of a twist.

Rapid prototyping through additive methods like extruding, deposition or fusing generally require very little in the way of mechanical forces. This means that rigidity while always desireable may not be the paramount concern. This would seem to be an excellent excuse to tear apart old printers and scanners and bodge 'em together into a workable 3D printer ala RepRap.

I've collected a pile of scanners, printers and multi-function devices, bought motor drivers and I think I have a workable plan in terms of mechanisms and electronics.

Last night I got an inkjet head integrated with EMC2 operating under servo control using a PC, the printer carcass and an L298 motor driver, so now I've proven to myself that I can do that much. More fun and challenges ahead!

The project is now starting to roll, and I've begun posting about it at The Mad Penguin SCUBA and Other Projects

I'm looking forward to feedback!

here is another one using emc

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjKfyxD79E"]YouTube - ‪Prusa Mendel controlled via EMC2 (LinuxCNC)‬‏[/nomedia]

sam