587,487 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Eliminating Pockets

Eliminating Pockets

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get this guitar body ready for the cnc. I think it would be much better to eliminate the pockets for the pickups, neck socket and hardware holes. That way, I could machine the surface of the body as a whole, then use pocketing tools to machine out the cavities and drill routines to bore the hardware holes.

Question is: Now that I have created these pockets, how do I put a surface back over them? I would like to leave the bottom of the pockets there. I would then have a reference to do the pocketing routine. I have tried researching the manual to no avail. I also tried deleting the poly-surfaces of the pockets and then trying the rebuild command but it didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris R.
    Attached Files Attached Files

On most of them you can do an untrim command and select the edge of the hole. Since a NURB surface is a big square when you untrim it, it removes the trim information which makes the hole.

On the neck pocket: Duplicate the edges (dupedge) draw a line to connect the front and then do a edgesurf or whatever to create a cover surface. This approach won't build a duplicate but it should be close enough to keep your bit from falling in the hole.

Nice work. I generally keep a copy of a surface like a top for machining and then make the pretty one with the cavities.

Randman, thanks for the tips! I'll give'em a try.
    Chris

Chris,

It is also possible to use Patch.
    1) Use Solid Tools-Extract surface and extract the top surface.
    2) Use Curve from Object-Duplicate border and duplicate the borders of the trimmed top surface.
    3) Use Surface-Patch and create patch surfaces from the borders of the pockets.

I also did create some sample toolpaths in madCAM on your model. I am not sure if this is the way you would like to have it but I hope it will give you some help.

Joakim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Joakim, that is exactly what I wanted to do! And that's exactly how I wanted to machine the part. Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it works on the cnc.

Thanks,

Chris R