586,062 active members*
4,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Dual Shaft NEMA34 Stepper Motor Sale....but I only need single shaft.

Dual Shaft NEMA34 Stepper Motor Sale....but I only need single shaft.

I am working on designing a bolt together steel tube CNC router and I am trying to source my stepper motors so that I can incorporate a specific motor into my design. I saw that keling is having a sale on Nema34 3.5 Amp 465 oz in holding torque dual shaft stepper motors (Page Title) and I was thinking about buying them to pair up with a gecko G540 drive. The problem is that my design will only need single shaft motors. Is there any downside to have an extra shaft sticking out on the other side of the motor?

Re: Dual Shaft NEMA34 Stepper Motor Sale....but I only need single shaft.

Sticks out the back ~15mm. No other difference.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Sticks out the back ~15mm. No other difference.
    I figured it wouldn't be a big deal but I would hate to buy everything and then find out that it was going to be a problem.

I've spent a few days reading through the threads regarding motor sizing and there doesn't seem to be any straight forward answer to it. This definitely seems to be one of the more frustrating aspects of design.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyguy1996 View Post
    I figured it wouldn't be a big deal but I would hate to buy everything and then find out that it was going to be a problem.

I've spent a few days reading through the threads regarding motor sizing and there doesn't seem to be any straight forward answer to it. This definitely seems to be one of the more frustrating aspects of design.
    Stepper Motor Manufacturer | Motion Control | Lin Engineering

register for the "designer's corner"

When you're registered you can use the select a stepper link. In there you can put in what you're driving etc. It will output a choice of motors, select them and check out their torque curves. You should be able to find equivalent motors from other sites.

It's actually a good thing if you end up with mid band resonance issues and need a place to stick a vibration damper.

Also good for crank handles if you want to move it manually at some point.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Or a rotary encoder on it later at some point... All pros!

don't snag yourself on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by UA_Iron View Post
    Or a rotary encoder on it later at some point... All pros!

don't snag yourself on it though.
    Oh, right! I'm doing some interesting work with Single Track Grey Code encoders:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/new/letter/news0312.htm
    if anyone is interested. (scroll down to the last section of the page). Maybe someone wants to help develop home made encoders?
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Oh, right! I'm doing some interesting work with Single Track Grey Code encoders:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/new/letter/news0312.htm
    if anyone is interested. (scroll down to the last section of the page). Maybe someone wants to help develop home made encoders?
    Very awesome, and thanks for sharing. I would have to catch up/learn on the gray code implementation. I know that many servos use battery backups internally for encoders - making me think they are largely incremental encoders.

I've started a thread here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo-...ml#post1598254
    so we don't hijack the OP's thread here. I'd love to hear from anyone interested.