587,781 active members*
2,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > dropped ball screw bearings from Syil X3 conversion kit

dropped ball screw bearings from Syil X3 conversion kit

Hi, I'm a new teacher and inherited a grizzly/syil x3 conversion. Since I was trying to figure it out with no idea what I was doing, I managed to back the Y-axis screw out of it's nut and drop the bearings. Apparantly the former teacher had done the same to Z so I need two axes repaired. (Also note: the Y-axis seems to have been missing the stop-ring at the end of the screw. Haven't seen Z yet.)

Would you reccomend buying replacement screws from Syil (or someone else), shipping off the screws for repacking (know any reputable repair shops?), or trying to repack myself. In the last case, does anyone know what bearings I need to buy? Is the replacment from syil the only way I get the stop-ring (anyone know what you actually call that?) so I don't do this again.

Also, since I'll have it all apart, anything else I should consider? I'll install the limit switches but I think I read where the old syil optical limits lack accuracy. Buy their new ones? Another good alternative?

I'd appreciate any general or specific info you don't mind sharing.

thanks in advance,
    jb

I'm not totally familiar with your specific type of ball screw but....I am in the middle of an X2 conversion and I have re-loaded my balls a few times. It takes some practice but its not rocket science. If you are missing balls you can measure and get replacements. I would replace all the balls with ones from the same supplier. That way you can be sure that they are indeed the correct size. I have bought some replacements from VBX but ebay is a good source for odd sizes.

thanks wam. i don't trust myself even using calipers to measure this very precisely. if i'm shy 1/64th, you know if pretty close is good enough for small ball screws?

thanks,
    jb

Well if they are the generic inexpensive 5/8 rolled ball screws that most of us use on this conversion then my guess is that the balls are .125". I think I saw a thread that Hoss has loaded .1259 balls in his screws to reduce backlash (can I say that?)....