587,119 active members*
2,998 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Drawing Numbers and Part Numbers

Drawing Numbers and Part Numbers

Hi all,
    I have been working as a design engineer for over ten years now and i have come up against a disagreement between me and my manager (who is not mechanical in any way)

All the previous companies I have worked for the DO has produced drawings with a drawing number and then the purchasing team has assigned their own part number for their system and its all been hunky dory.

For the last year i have been using the part number which is a unique number as the Drawing number. I think that that is fine as long as it is controlled with relevant revisions on drawings and change notes. The drawings also include assembly, part, manufacturing process and electrical specs.
    The old system in our company had separate prefixes for either Manufacturing spec or part spec etc....
    The old system did not allow for one drawings containing the full manufacturing spec hence my problem and why I use the Part number as the drawing number.

To summaries what is wrong with using the Part number as the Drawing Number?

I have checked standards and cannot find a definitive answer.

I have been through similar thoughts.

We used to have the part number the same as the drawing number. We found one downside was that this did not allow several parts on one drawing. The result was more drawings to manage (revision control, check and approve etc.) it also didn't allow us to take advantage of some of the capabilities of the CAD system like weldments.

Also don't use intelligent numbering systems. They were good when you don't have a computer to look up additional info but these days almost everyone has a computer handy.

Brett