587,404 active members*
3,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Do I need to connect all 6 wires to stepper motors?

Do I need to connect all 6 wires to stepper motors?

I bought a set with 6 wired stepper motors (nema 23) for a time ago. 2 of them are for + and - Do I need to connect all wires from these motors, or is it enough to connect only 4 of them to the drivers?

The scheme that followed with the set doesn´t tell anything about where to connect the + and - wires. Can these motors be run only by four wires?

It depends on whose drives you plan to use. If the drives are unipolar then all six wires must connect to the drive. If the drives are bipolar (dual full-bridge) then only 4 wires connect.

On a 6-wire motor you have 2 connection choices; full-winding and half-winding:

1) Full-winding. Connect the end-wires from each winding and ignore the center-taps. Insulate them from each other and everything else. Set the drive to exactly 1/2 of the motor's rated unipolar current; if the motor is 4A rated, set the drive to 2A. The performance is exactly the same as a series connected 8-wire motor.

2) Half-winding. Use the center-tap and one end-wire of each winding. It doesn't matter which end-wire. Ignore and insulate the unused end-wires. Don't let them touch each other or anything else. Set the drive to the motor's rated current; if the motor is 4A rated, set the drive to 4A. This connection is almost identical (within 1%) to the parallel connection on an 8-wire motor.

3) Both settings give the same low-speed torque (zero to several revolutions per second). The half-winding connection (2) will give twice the power at high speeds (twice the torque compared to full-winding at 5 revs / sec on up) but the motor will be much warmer.

Mariss

Here are some of the schemes that followed the set. Maybe these will explain what kind of drives it is.

There are 6 slots on the output side on the drivers but the scheme tell me to conect the + and - of these to the power supply. Can I instead connect these to the steppers and do some different connections from the power supply, or can I maybe connect the + and - wires from the steppers directly to the power supply?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan10027b.jpg   Scan10028b.jpg   set b.jpg  

Edit:
    I missunderstood the black and white wires. They are not + and - but center wires. Sorry for that.