587,487 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > do enclosures need to be constantly vacuumed?

do enclosures need to be constantly vacuumed?

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make sense as English is no my first language :/, Im a newbie and Im building an enclosure for my http://www.zenbotcnc.com/all-products/zenbot-1216-cnc-router to keep dust and noise under control as I live in a small apartment, the problem I have is that I can’t have my cnc machine and my dust collector (something like http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-FOX-W1727-Dust-Collector/dp/B001R23T44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357142245&sr=8-2&keywords=shop+dust+collector ) running at the same time, but common sense is telling me that enclosing the cnc machine without constantly pulling dust out will kill it eventually, can anyone please shed some light on this? As what I doing now without the enclosure is let her make her mess and clean afterwards but that approach is no go anymore.
    Thanks a lot guys!

Cj

What is the reason for not running at the same time, power or noise?
    If noise issue, you could make a soundproof cover for the motor maybe?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

thanks for you reply Al!!

well the reason is power... every time I try to run them together the main building breaker trips (if there are others using high voltage appliances ) annoying my neighbors, while damaging the work piece something that I don't really want to happen

I work with wood and doing light passes so my debris are really, really small or
    dust.

Sound proof cover? I could make use of that for sure! anything that keeps noise levels down is really appreciated as I have my small cnc in a room of my small apartment! any schematics around here?

thank you so much for your help Al.

Cj

In all probability it is the inrush current of one when the other is already running, Most motors have very high inrush when directly started across the line, Universal motors are no exception.
    First make absolutely sure you do not start them simultaneously.
    The second is you could fit a SuperPID to the router, which not only gives variable speed, but slow start, so there will be minimum inrush on the router, in this case you would start the dust collector first.
    Do you have 120v or 240v service?
    Al.

Albert E.

I run all in 120v

mmmmmm!!! excelent advice!!! I will try that for sure, I have a hitachi M12VC router which has soft start, it starts slow and then go full speed so I think that would help. I will do some air runing using the fire up sequence you recommend and see how it goes!

SuperPID is in the top of my this year most needed upgrades list for my small cnc

what difference does make if runing 120 or 220?

Thank you!!!!

For example running on a 240v outlet the current would be half of operating on 120v, the inrush is still there, but slightly reduced on 240v.
    Al.

Albert E.

got it! thank you for all your help Al! much appreciated!!!!

Cj!

A variable AC transformer ("variac") could also be used to gently start the dust collector to avoid large inrush currents.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    A variable AC transformer ("variac") could also be used to gently start the dust collector to avoid large inrush currents.

Matt
    thanks for the tip Matt much appreciated!

Alternatively you could use a smaller vacuum or one with variable speed.
    I run everything off an extension cord, and have the same issues if I run everything at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    Alternatively you could use a smaller vacuum or one with variable speed.
    I run everything off an extension cord, and have the same issues if I run everything at full speed.
    Hi Jim! I agree! one with variable speed should do the trick I'm looking at Fein Turbo Variable II as an option when founds are available

Thanks a lot for the info!