587,751 active members*
2,734 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

DIY $20 Scanner....

Just incase you didn't see this it was added today, really cool that Tormach is supporting it !!!! Going to get one tomorrow.

http://www.tormach.com/blog/?p=1038

Wow that's cheap! I'd better buy a dozen!......Is it really needed? maybe not.
    Keith

Not bad. I looked into Tormach's scanner system for several weeks and went back and forth with emails with Matt before I finally settled on the Microscribe. But this does answer my other question, that you can use other plugin's with the default Tormach M3. So I should be able to hook up webcam like I wanted for aligning parts.. Time to look for webcams online now

"Not bad. I looked into Tormach's scanner system for several weeks and went back and forth with emails with Matt before I finally settled on the Microscribe. But this does answer my other question, that you can use other plugin's with the default Tormach M3. So I should be able to hook up webcam like I wanted for aligning parts.. Time to look for webcams online now"

You would need a cam that would be centered with a collet for best results. I've been looking all day for one, nothing... I guess I too will be looking the internet for one. Guys keep me up to date on what you find, I'll post some as well.

For better resolution a spy cam or even a security cam would be much better than a web cam, but to find one the size we need it might be hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    "Not bad. I looked into Tormach's scanner system for several weeks and went back and forth with emails with Matt before I finally settled on the Microscribe. But this does answer my other question, that you can use other plugin's with the default Tormach M3. So I should be able to hook up webcam like I wanted for aligning parts.. Time to look for webcams online now"

You would need a cam that would be centered with a collet for best results. I've been looking all day for one, nothing... I guess I too will be looking the internet for one. Guys keep me up to date on what you find, I'll post some as well.

For better resolution a spy cam or even a security cam would be much better than a web cam, but to find one the size we need it might be hard to find.
    As long as you can identify two points it would not have to be centered in a collet, but yes that is the idea solution. If you look on the page they link to Amazon with USB Microscopes so plenty to choose from. Just make sure you get one that matches their resolution. I would think a 200X magnification would be handy as well.

Does this work for complex organic 3d parts as well, and if so, do you have to be a Tormach owner to buy the full version software?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Does this work for complex organic 3d parts as well, and if so, do you have to be a Tormach owner to buy the full version software?

Mike
    That is the reason I purchased my Microscribe. I believe you will be limited to 2.5D with this method. Complex organic 3D parts would required a point cloud I think.

"That is the reason I purchased my Microscribe. I believe you will be limited to 2.5D with this method. Complex organic 3D parts would required a point cloud I think."

With or without the laser ? Curious what did that set you back (3k - 5k)?

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    "That is the reason I purchased my Microscribe. I believe you will be limited to 2.5D with this method. Complex organic 3D parts would required a point cloud I think."

With or without the laser ? Curious what did that set you back (3k - 5k)?
    Without the laser and it cost about $10K.... And I need two additional tips which are about $75 each.

ouch!!

do you have to be a Tormach owner to buy the full version software?
    Mike
    No, but the hardware offered uses a Tormach tool holder. Software with dongle is $335 for those willing to roll their own hardware. The demo version will store points but won't save as drawing if I understand correctly. Also need Mach3 installed but the video claims the demo version of Mach3 is all that's needed ??

Looking forward to any user feedback, cool stuff.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Ok,
    I have looked high and low. Where do i find the Mach3 plugin for this?
    Any help?
    Cheers

When you install the Scan Cad Software it installs the plugin.

http://www.tormach.com/document_libr.../TTV_ep001.zip

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

cyclestart thanks for the info.....but that didn't answer all my question. Do you know if it will do 3d organic objects? Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    No, but the hardware offered uses a Tormach tool holder. Software with dongle is $335 for those willing to roll their own hardware. The demo version will store points but won't save as drawing if I understand correctly. Also need Mach3 installed but the video claims the demo version of Mach3 is all that's needed ??

Looking forward to any user feedback, cool stuff.

Do you know if it will do 3d organic objects? Any info would be appreciated.

Mike
    What is a 3d organic object? To me organic is something with carbon in it or vegetables grown without pesticide.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    What is a 3d organic object? To me organic is something with carbon in it or vegetables grown without pesticide.
    Most designs done parametrically are considered hard surfaces 3D organic surfaces is a term used a lot in such areas as game design and art too represent things like 3D characters (monsters, humans, robots) or anything that is created from 3D surfaces instead of flat objects like a square block.

This would be considered 3D organic model (objects for a few of my games) or a car body can be considered organic. The weapons would be considered hard objects since they are basically squares or cylinders. The stock could be considered organic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desert_boot_3.jpg   mr-s.jpg   weapons.png  

Thanks Scott,
    I had downloaded the rar file you show and installed it.
    Lets just say it pays to look more closely, It was there all along
    Cheers
    Denis

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Most designs done parametrically are considered hard surfaces 3D organic surfaces is a term used a lot in such areas as game design and art too represent things like 3D characters (monsters, humans, robots) or anything that is created from 3D surfaces instead of flat objects like a square block.

This would be considered 3D organic model (objects for a few of my games) or a car body can be considered organic. The weapons would be considered hard objects since they are basically squares or cylinders. The stock could be considered organic.
    Magnum thanks for the help with the explaination. Now that said, not all parts of fire arms are as militaristic (word?) as those examples you showed, and some of them are very organic......curvy and swoopy!

Here is one for example. This is my original design but it got away from me and is now produce by several companies.

There are tons of organic products that need an inexpensive means to reverse engineer and I was hoping this was it.

MIke

Magnum thanks for the help with the explaination. Now that said, not all parts of fire arms are as militaristic (word?) as those examples you showed, and some of them are very organic......curvy and swoopy!

Here is one for example. This is my original design but it got away from me and is now produce by several companies.

There are tons of organic products that need an inexpensive means to reverse engineer and I was hoping this was it.

MIke
    I got one like that for my shotgun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shotgun.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 123