586,065 active members*
4,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > DIP Switches when running 2 steppers on Y Axis

DIP Switches when running 2 steppers on Y Axis

Hi Guys

I'm building my first machine and wiring up the steppers and drivers right now. I have 2 steppers on the Y Axis, one either side each driving a ballscrew. Now, my question relates to the DIP Switch settings. Both these motors have their own driver of course, but these drivers are then both wired to the same points on the BOB so they both receive identical signals to precisely co-ordinate movement, BUT how will this affect DIP Switch settings? I'm OK with switches 4-8 but when it comes to 1-3 do I go for 4.2A on the X and Z and 2.1A on each of the Y Drivers? I heard somewhere that each motor in this configuration runs on half current. Does that make any sense? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, and I did try asking my supplier without success so bugging you guys with a question that's probably been answered somewhere else WAS a last resort

Any assistance gratefully received.

Re: DIP Switches when running 2 steppers on Y Axis

I haver never run that configuration, but I would run both with the maximum current. You want to be sure they stay in sync. If you are running marginal, you have a larger chance of missing a step.

Don

Re: DIP Switches when running 2 steppers on Y Axis

You didn't say the type of driver. If the dip switches are for setting the current you at your motor label and set the current according to that. You worry about half current if you are using a six or eight wire motor with fields wired in series. A 4 wire motor uses whatever current is on the label.