586,065 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Define work offset number?

Define work offset number?

Is there any way to set a desired work offset for a particular cycle? For instance, I want to set a cycle to use G57 work offset, however, Edgecam defaults to G54 unless I perform an Index Operation, whereby Edgecam just increments the workoffset number. I want to be able to pre-set my desired offset number straight off. I'm having to edit the outputted G-Code and manually enter my work offset right now... kinda tedious and room for a mistake.

THanks!

Re: Define work offset number?

if you open the tool in your sequence tree and pick the "more" tab, at the bottom right is "work datum override" if you put the offset number you want there, it will use that datum till you change it.
    you may have to tweak your generator if that doesnt work. i use this method all the time for secondary operations in the same machine.

you can also use "datum shift" from the M-function pull down at the top, if you dont put any shift in the boxes and just add the datum you want to use to the "work datum override" here it will do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by timf View Post
    if you open the tool in your sequence tree and pick the "more" tab, at the bottom right is "work datum override" if you put the offset number you want there, it will use that datum till you change it.
    you may have to tweak your generator if that doesnt work. i use this method all the time for secondary operations in the same machine.
    Awesome! Did not even notice it there before. Thanks, Timf!

Quote Originally Posted by timf View Post
    you can also use "datum shift" from the M-function pull down at the top, if you dont put any shift in the boxes and just add the datum you want to use to the "work datum override" here it will do the same thing.
    It looks like the datum override will only take a number (no letters or it errors out). On my Haas, beyond the G54-G59, Haas has additional offsets "G154 P1, G154 P2, etc"... is there a way to force Edgecam to accept these type of offsets? It errors out when I try to enter the "P1, P2, etc"

Thanks, Timf!

Quote Originally Posted by velocitycnc View Post
    It looks like the datum override will only take a number (no letters or it errors out). On my Haas, beyond the G54-G59, Haas has additional offsets "G154 P1, G154 P2, etc"... is there a way to force Edgecam to accept these type of offsets? It errors out when I try to enter the "P1, P2, etc"

Thanks, Timf!
    You need to configure the post processor with the starting and maximum datum values (NC Style Section, Datum Setting tab), and configure the Format Table so that Work Coordinate System values have the "G154 P" letter address. By the way, this applies to the modern adaptive Code Wizard templates. This is a simple modification to a "known good" post processor. If this doesn't information doesn't make sense, then I'd suggest contact your reseller for assistance.

Hope that helps!