587,475 active members*
3,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > :D Newbie Saying Hello

:D Newbie Saying Hello

Hey All,

I am a newbie to this forum and hoping it will assist me living a dream. Not sure if this is the right place to start so feel free to give me a nudge in the right direction.

Years ago i started sketching out designs for r/c aircraft with the dream of one day being able to manufacture and actually sell my own lines of aircraft and accessories (maybe even make a real one). Time has moved on and designs and technology have moved on to the point where now seems as good a time as any to eject from the rat race and try and make it in the manufacturing world. Problem is im IT literate but never tried anything like this before so much guidence is needed.

Ive setup Autocad 2008 and im starting to get to grips with the 3d side of things what i need is advice on the right direction for prototyping.

The end products i produce will be moulded composite so what i need is to be able to turn a 3d model into a physical model ideally blue foam so that i can make a mould.

My first question is given that i need to model in foam probably quite complex shapes is my best bet building a cnc hotwire or a cnc router?

I guess my best bet is to get an answer to the main question then hunt the rest out in the appropriate forum.

Also can anyone recommend a good forum for composite mouldings?

Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated, looking forward to meeting people here.

Cheers for now

The RC forums (RC Universe and RCGroups) have some good composite info. I'm guessing you want a router, btw.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)