3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: Couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    The Passive Probe will set Z.

I'll put in 2¢ about CAM...

I've been doing hobby CNC milling for a few years now. I still consider myself to be a novice though.

Finding a CAM program that's worth a damn is no easy task! I've found that few of them offer a trial version, and ifa trial is available it typically will not generate G-code, and if it generates G-code the post processor might need tweaking before it's reliable. This is what I've seen with the mid-to-high tier packages I've looked at. I wouldn't be surprised if the lower-end packages are more willing to let people install and try a demo version before buying.

I have SolidCAM and although it does a downright decent job of generating toolpaths most of the time there are also plenty of moments when it's a colossal POS. Being able to change the model and have the toolpaths autoupdate is nice, but it's definitely not as foolproof as you might expect. Their support has been very good. RhinoCAM was the same way: decent most of the time but a steaming turd fairly often as well. I have not tried HSM Express yet. Seems like it's definitely worth a look. If I remember correctly, I was impressed by SprutCAM, but there was some flaw that prevented me from seriously considering it. I might be confusing it with Dolphin CAM.

Good luck! I hope I haven't dissuaded you.
    Hirudin, thanks. I took the easy/quick way my first CAM with Cut2D. It is incredibly easy to get started, but I find that I am very limited. This time around I need to do my homework a bit more.

I was hoping that everyone agreed on SprutCAM, but it seems that is not the case. I will try a bunch out and see how it goes.

I'm in the same situation, really have decided I want a PCNC 1100, but just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Wish I could find some sort of discount to put me over the edge Maybe we can convince them to give us a discount if we both buy one at once..

Quote Originally Posted by proggod View Post
    I'm in the same situation, really have decided I want a PCNC 1100, but just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Wish I could find some sort of discount to put me over the edge Maybe we can convince them to give us a discount if we both buy one at once..

That would be very cool, but I don't think they would agree

I actually just agreed to a price on a used one that I was considering. It did not look like it was going to happen because we were apart on price and I was going to go new, but we came to an agreement.

I am supposed to get it on Sunday.

It's a series II that I am going to upgrade to series III. It has a deluxe stand, power drawbar, controller, TTS CNC operators kit, pendent, vise and and a few other little things.

REALLY looking forward to getting it!

Where did you find it? I can't find any of them used.

Where did you find it? I can't find any of them used.
    Where in the country are you located?

I use BobCAD with Alibre's personal edition. It's owned by 3DS now I think but still sells for around 200. If you are designing anything with more than a few parts from scratch, 3D design will revolutionize how you work. Machines are fun but when it comes to finishing things design is where it happens. I understand people not wanting to drop 5k for solidworks or Inventor, but get Alibre at least. Unless your work is trivial, learning 3D will do far more for your total productivity than anything else. At this point I'd rather have a 3D design tool and an old Bridgeport than my Tormach and a 2D CAD system.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    I use BobCAD with Alibre's personal edition. It's owned by 3DS now I think but still sells for around 200. If you are designing anything with more than a few parts from scratch, 3D design will revolutionize how you work. Machines are fun but when it comes to finishing things design is where it happens. I understand people not wanting to drop 5k for solidworks or Inventor, but get Alibre at least. Unless your work is trivial, learning 3D will do far more for your total productivity than anything else. At this point I'd rather have a 3D design tool and an old Bridgeport than my Tormach and a 2D CAD system.
    Inventor LT is under $1000, and well worth it - FAR superior to Alibre - more features, more stable, easier to use. Except LT does not do assemblies. And, with Inventor LT, you can use HSMXpress, which is light years more capable than BobCAM (for 2.5D, which is all most people need), and much easier to use.

Regards,
    Ray L.

united states

Just join techshop, and you can get inventor student version for free. I think you can even get inventor commercial for free as well. I love inventor and i would hate to use any inferior programs. If you want to make exact parts, inventor is great.

united states
    There are not a lot of used ones that come up where I look, I had been looking for a while.

There is one on eBay right now in Ca which is completely stacked, and the one I am buying I found on Craigslist on the East Coast, I have not seen anything else for sale right now anywhere in the US, but I have not looked anywhere other than eBay or CL.

Thanks for the ebay link, maybe I can snatch that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    There are not a lot of used ones that come up where I look, I had been looking for a while.

There is one on eBay right now in Ca which is completely stacked, and the one I am buying I found on Craigslist on the East Coast, I have not seen anything else for sale right now anywhere in the US, but I have not looked anywhere other than eBay or CL.
    You buy the one in new york?

You buy the one in new york?
    Well not yet, but yeah that's the one I have an agreement on. I'm sure though that if he can sell it for a higher amount tomorrow he would, which would be ok, I would buy new.

Are you on the West Coast?

Just join techshop, and you can get inventor student version for free. I think you can even get inventor commercial for free as well. I love inventor and i would hate to use any inferior programs. If you want to make exact parts, inventor is great.
    Id love to get inventor. There are no local tech shops to me

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Except LT does not do assemblies.
    As in, it can only handle one part at a time? Alibre's basic edition does allow for assemblies--I don't know what the part count limitation is but it's certainly in the dozens or more judging from what I've done with it. Assemblies have saved me god knows how many hours of machining parts that don't fit. Since I started really using it my scrap pile is growing a lot slower than it used to. The integrated HSMExpress is nice but it LT only allows for one part at a time that would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    Well not yet, but yeah that's the one I have an agreement on. I'm sure though that if he can sell it for a higher amount tomorrow he would, which would be ok, I would buy new.

Are you on the West Coast?
    Yep in arizona. Don't worry I won't be offering him anything. Too far for me.

Yep in arizona. Don't worry I won't be offering him anything. Too far for me.
    Haha, no worries. If I don't get that one I will get a new one.

Are you close enough to Ca to go after the one on eBay? I'd be all over that one if it was close enough.

Inventor LT is under $1000, and well worth it - FAR superior to Alibre - more features, more stable, easier to use. Except LT does not do assemblies.
    Personally, I find assemblies to be an essential feature. I've not used Inventor, but haven't found that GeoMagic (the new name for Alibre) lacks any mission critical features and it rarely crashes on me.

Mike

No $90 replacement tips.
    If that refers to the Haimer tips, they are only $42.

Mike

Yep that one would be easy to get, so hopefully I will be able to pick it up. Are there any other mills i should be considering?

- - - Updated - - -

Assembly is definitely nice to see if your parts fit, before you have to make them

Page 2 of 4 1234