587,108 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Couch Potato CNC - Wireless Pendant

I saw this 12 channel remote control setup at www.lightobject.com and got the idea to build a wireless pendant. The cost is only about 28 Bucks so it was a low risk venture.

This can be added to most CNC controllers since the relay outputs can be wired in parallel with existing switches. It's most convenient to double up with the existing connections on your breakout board. I'm using GREX controllers and connecting them there.

The receiver requires 12V. In my case I already have this from the GREX supply.

I drew a keyboard overlay and put clear tape on each side to create a lamination. The overlay was cut out with a Xacto knife.

The first picture shows the device as I received it. The second shows the keyboard overlay. The third shows the wired device ready to install in the controller box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 128.jpg   132.jpg   138.jpg  

will be interested in seeing it working and how you wired it to a bob or grex.

Joe

Wiring

The wiring is simple. This device provides NO and NC contacts from the 12 relays. I wired one side of the NO contacts to ground and the other to the corresponding input on the GREX. When a button is pushed on the remote it's the same as if it was done on the hardwired switch on the controller box.

The App sheet for this device is here:

http://support.lightobject.com/Manual/RF12CH.htm

Interesting. I see the documentation mentions that it can be programmed for two different modes. Can you choose a few buttons to be latching, and a few to be momentary?

Momentary/Latched

Good point. Didn't think about this until you brought it up since I was only interested in momentary operation.

If you compare my photos with theirs it is apparent that they're shipping a newer revision. Can't find the jumper on mine. It came set in momentary mode. Since they only talk about one jumper I assume it's either/or.

You can make a latched function with an external relay and a little relay logic using the relays from two channels. That would defeat the simplicity of this scheme.

BTW The remote antenna doesn't need to be raised for this application. I tested up to 40 ft away and it works fine.

LOL....Clockwork, you slay me. That's pretty dang cool. Every guy here NEEDS one of those. I always said, I need more Remote Controls in my shop.

Cool.

Now just swap the handheld, with a cordless phone body/shell.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Now just swap the handheld, with a cordless phone body/shell.
    Noooooooooooooooooooo... I can see it now, finding my mill in a flaming pile while one of my friends try to explain that they were just making a phone call...