587,189 active members*
3,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Coolant Coalescent Skimmers

Exclamation Coolant Coalescent Skimmers

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using or has tried these coolant coalescent skimmers that actually pump out and filter the coolant, basically recycling it by seperating the tramp oil externally. I was about to buy a disc-type skimmer for our new Haas VF5 when the boss told me to research devices that can work on all 6 of our vmcs. The cost is steep ($3500) but if it can elimnate years worth of fiddling around with individual skimmers, it would be worth it. Any suggestions?

~eric

Well, yes. Some work really good, some are just crap. Either way, your going to be fiddling with it. The Turbo Conveyor Phase Sep is about the best ive seen. Dont buy the disk skimmers unless you like a lot of coolant skimmed out. Get a belt type from Wayne products/Abanaki or someone like those if you go individual skimmers. We put one on a Mag base to move around the machines that dont use much oil. The heavy oil machines have there own. Always buy the low speed ones BTW.

I convinced myself the coalescing filters are the way to go and equipped nearly all my milling machines with them. I don't think you need to spend $3500, I got the Keller TKO 14 Tramp Oil Separators for Individual Sumps TKO Series Coalescing Tramp Oil Separators

and use them on MiniMills and VF2s. I also have a larger version but it is overkill.

I have found out that it is not necessary to run them all the time. Actually they are so efficient at coalescing that if they are run 24 hours a day eventually they will start separating the coolant from the water.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I use Keller as well and they work good. I also plumbed some airlines with flow controls and stainless diffusers on the ends that oxygenate the coolant.