587,651 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting an ENCO Mill to CNC

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Guys!!

What model and such ?
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

It says it's an Enco 30 model (105-1110).

Thanks for the reply!!

Redrock,
    Hey man, I am converting one myself (for the second time). I just loaned my other one to a good friend who is involved in a start up, then I found another used one with very little use so I decided to go ahead and do the conversion.

I am going to go with Rockford ballscrews. Going with Stepper system again, most likely using the Automation Direct 430oz/in system but that is up in the air. I will be using my other mill at my bud's shop to make the parts, so I can start to strip it right away (but I do have a project going on).

What kind of help are you looking for?

Good Luck and let me know if I can be or any help.
    Regards,
    Glen

Glen,
    Thanks so much for the reply! You sound like you know what you're doing over there!

Basically, I'm looking for a How-To, and/or a BOM of what I'll be needing to do the conversion. I'm a electronic engineer by trade, and just now getting into metal work. I got my hands on this mill and will probably be getting a mini lathe later this week.

Do you have a list of materials that you'll be using? What do you think it's going to cost you to do the conversion?

Thanks again for the reply, I'm starting to get addicted to this stuff!

jamey

Jamey,
    I will be making all the parts for the conversion myself. I would guess it will cost me around $600 since I will be making everything myself. That would be screws, motors, power supply, drivers and all pulleys and hardware (minus computer). That will be all new too, no used Ebay stuff.

Where are you located? If your interested and the machines are compatiable I would be willing to make two of everything as I go, just a thought. Maybe we could work something out.

I am planning on starting soon. I would be willing to chat off line with you about this if your interested let me know.
    Glen

Glen,
    I'd certainly be interested in your help and I appreciate the offer!

I'm in the Dallas, Tx area. My email is jamey at redrockgroup.com. Replace at with @.

Give me a shout!

Thanks again!

Jamey

Jamey,
    Here is a site that offers ( http://www.homecnc.info/plans.htm ) a full set of plans for your mill. X-Y and Z axis set of plans for around $70. That is a full set of plans for all the mechanical components.

I am not sure what size motors the tooling is made for, but I am sure it is all there. I will be buying my Motors / Power Supplies and most likely my drivers from Automation Direct, you can check there new Stepper section out at thier web site. They are totally configured together which I like, plus when i order them they arrive in a day or so.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.
    Glen

Glen,
    Give me a shout about making two sets of parts. Are you building from those set of plans?

Jamey

the plans from homecnc are the ones I used and exept for minor changes they worked great plus he gives a list of everything needed
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Glen I'm in the same boat... I would like to convert my bench mill to CNC but don't know where to even start to find what I need....infact I don't know what I need...can you send me some information? like what I need...
    Thanks
    Barney
    [email protected]