587,421 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

compilation of parts

I've decided to build a CNC ... my plan is to start putting common parts together and continue to research as I go along.

I've already purchased
    1. 8mm (608) Roller skate wheels for the linear slide;
    2. 8mm x 10mm Spacers;
    3. Emergency Stop Switch and
    4. 8 wire 1.8 4 ANGLE stepper motor ............got my motors and they are 4 wire, so that's better

I am going to use single driver boards so if one blows it can be easily replaced. Ebay has a Stepper Motor+ Driver Board ULN2003 5V 4-phase 5 line. These drivers are cheap, but I don't know if they are the right ones. I liked the idea of getting the extra stepper motors to be repurposed elsewhere.

I'm looking at pin connectors, but don't know if I will need 4 or 8 pins - haven't gotten that far yet.

I am going to use MDF, but now I'm thinking of using the 8020 aluminum for the slide rails and MDF for the frame. Will the skate bearing fit in the aluminum channel and move freely?

I also want to use pulleys and timing belts, but haven't decided on all the sizes yet.

This is going to be a slow go, so I hope y'all will bear with me because I need all the help I can get. I don't have months to research because this is a necessity- I always think it's wise to put my money into something I can build upon than merely purchase something, i.e., it's better to buy tools that I can reuse than to pay somebody to do it for me.

I don't have a name for my build yet, but thought "MOCK I" might be appropriate.

limit switches

IMO your first link is what your looking for, the other 2 are surface mount tac switches ment for PCBs
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

thank you so much ...

Quote Originally Posted by RMHCNC View Post
    IMO your first link is what your looking for, the other 2 are surface mount tac switches ment for PCBs
    thanks ... I'm not an electrician, carpenter or mechanic, so I'm getting on the job training for everything. The bad thing is, by the time I figure out how to do something, I'm finished. But the good news is, I'm on the outside of the house and I should do better on the inside.

IMO the third post is best it has rollers and a long lever

just my luck ...

I ordered the switches behind door #2... now I'm trying to find drivers and breakout boards and that's confusing too

Stay away from the chin boards, price may look good but good luck and hope it don't burn up. There are many options but what are your motors rated for.
    I'm not an expert but I have had my share or learning experiences. What are you looking to do with this machine ?

LOL, I don't even know

what a chin board is. I've got 1.8 4v steppers.

I am working on my house and wanted to put up some porch brackets ... between the front and the back, there would be 16 brackets so it could get rather pricey and I can't justify spending that much money, so I thought I would build a CNC to cut them. Plus I wanted to do panel molding on the interior and that would add up too. With the CNC, I can have it later to make things like birdhouses, etc. to try to sell. I'm trying to setup a workshop too and I can't wait to get that done. I just wish I could have done all this when I was younger and healthier, but then I didn't have a building or tools.

This is a chin board
    Save yourself the troubles and spend a little extra for better drivers
    What amp rating are your motors ?
    I'm taking it they are 4 wire 200 step

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/786/0...027786_088.jpg

yep ...

that's about what I was looking at. Upgraded 5 Axis CNC Breakout Board Stepper Motor Driver 5V USB Cable Mach3 | eBay .. I thought I would get the 5 axis because I don't know whether I will use 3 or 4 and later I could add the 5th if I wanted to. I'm trying to build this cheap and later I can build a bigger and better one if I need to.

I haven't researched software yet, but I know I can't afford anything expensive - free would be better as long as it supports dxf and slt files.

Just giving u the heads up lol, bin there and done it. I salvaged the driver IC's and turned them into single boards
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...e_spindle.html

Lol I got dibs on the Y axis, sorry man just playin. If you do go that route best of luck to ya. My judgement is based on what I and many other have received and in the end you end up spending more then your need. Out of 5 IC's I only have 3 working drivers and that's because I made them and god only knows how long they will last haha

betting against me?

Quote Originally Posted by hairapos View Post
    gentlemen – place your bets.
    I think you will win

been there and done it ...

but you're smarter than me .. I'm still trying to figure out your last question. The motors that I got are hybrids, if that makes a difference. When I search for hybrid drivers, they're more expensive. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't won't to spend money only to have it not work either.

What amp rating are your stepper motors ?
    I may be able to point you in the right direction if you know it
    Arduino's are micro controller ic's that can be programmed to do many things
    My laser cnc is controlled by an Arduino and 2 easydrivers
    The easydrivers are good to 1.5 amps with heat sinking
    From what your telling me you want to use it for your min budget should be around $1000

Look for all info stamped or marked on the motors and post it
    Pics would help and smarter lol that word means nothing. I only know what I do because I had the drive to learn. I'm sure there are things that you know or have experienced that I have no clue where I would start. I am very handy if anything and when I get this thing up and running myself I have a hole lot of CAD to learn and how to operate the Mach3

schematics

The schematics shows the amps to be 0.55. I liked the motor because of the size, didn't think about amps.

I see lot of drivers for Arduino, but don't have a clue what that is - it's over my head . Can you interchange a router for the laser on your machine? I've seen some beautiful wood portraits engraved with lasers.

I only know what I do because I had the drive to learn. I'm sure there are things that you know or have experienced that I have no clue where I would start.

that's me .. everything I do is out of necessity.

I don't have anybody to help and don't have the money to pay anybody to do a crappy job. The little boy that God blessed me with last year that would work with me and was a perfectionist, was killed in an accident, so I'm trying to finish some things that he had started and planned to do. He was going to set-up "our" workshop. It's taking me a while and there's days and weeks I can't do anything, but I'm thankful for the days that I can. And the thing about the CNC, once I get it setup and going, I can let it do all the work cutting out stuff that I can put together and try to sell for an income, so I'm trying to look at the CNC as an investment. Sean would have loved it and because he's not here, the CNC will be like having a helping hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TelcoStepper.jpg   Steppermotor_2.jpg   Steppermotor_3.jpg   TelcoStepper.png  

two-phase hybrid stepping motor drive

I found this on ebay after finding a post on CNCzone about the 2M535 being a hybrid stepping motor ... CNC 3 Axis Stepper Driver 3 5A Breakout Interface Board for Router System Kit | eBay. It says it comes with a CD for Mach3 software and manual, but I guess other software would run.

2M535 Drive controller

2M535 subdivision-type two-phase hybrid stepping motor drive using DC 12 ~ 36V power supply, suitable for drive Two-phase hybrid stepping motor dynamic voltage 12 to 36V, the current is less than 3.5A outer diameter of 35 to 86 mm. This drive using the drive's current loop subdivision control, the motor torque ripple is very small, low-speed running is very smooth, almost no vibration and noise. High-speed torque is much higher than other two-phase drive, high positioning accuracy. Widely used in the engraving machine, CNC machine tools, packaging machinery and other high resolution requirements on the device.

Features :
    • average current control, two-phase sinusoidal current drive output
    • DC 12 ~ 36V power supply, the internal integration of 12V and 5V regulator
    • optically isolated signal input / output
    • overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent, and white short-circuit protection
    • 4 file segmentation and automatic half-streaming capabilities up to 16 segments
    • file output phase current settings
    • high starting speed
    • high-speed torque

Electrical Specifications
    • Input voltage DC 12 ~ 36V input
    • The input current of 1 to 4 amps, select the drive a stepper motor.
    • Output current of 0.5A ~ 3.5A
    • Temperature Operating Temperature -10 to 45 ℃; Storage temperature -40 ℃ to 70 ℃
    • Humidity not condensing, not drops
    • Gas prohibit combustible gas and conductive dust

Control signal interface:

Figure 1 is a wiring schematic of the drive

1. the definition of control signals
    • PUL +: step pulse signal is input side or the positive pulse signal input positive terminal
    • PUL-: the negative input of the negative input pulse signal or a positive pulse signal
    • DIR +: stepping direction signal input to the positive terminal or negative pulse signal input to the positive terminal
    • DIR -: stepping direction signal input of the negative side or reverse step pulse signal input negative terminal
    • EN +: offline can reset signal input side is
    • EN-: offline can reset signal input negative terminal
    • Offline enable signal is active, reset drive failure to prohibit any pulse, the output of the drive
    • Power component is turned off, the motor holding torque.

2、Control signal connections
    • PC control signal can be high, also can be low effective. When active high, the control signal
    • The negative side together as a signal to active low, positive side of all control signals together as a signal common.
    • For example, open-collector and PNP output interface circuit diagram is as follows:
    • Figure 2. Input interface circuit (common cathode connection)
    • Note: the VCC is 5V, R short;
    • VCC value of 12V, R 1K, more than 1/8W resistor;
    • VCC value of 24V, R 2K, more than 1/8W resistor;

5 Axis breakout Board :

Features :

The maximum matching 5-axis stepper motor driver
    The two-stage signal processing, signal transmission smooth, powerful anti-jamming
    5 input interface to define the emergency stop, limit, points in the knife, etc.
    relay output control interface, can be accessed by the spindle motor or the air pump, water pump, etc
    five-axis job LED display, visual display products, working condition

Electrical Parameters:

Input Power ... 5V DC power supply or computer USB to take power
    Work axis stepper ... Received the highest 5-axis independent driving
    Drive ... Pulse + direction + enable signal.
    Weight ... About 200g

Package Content:
    1. 3 x CNC Stepper Motor Driver 2M535
    2. 1 x breakout board and Parallel cable
    3. 1 x CD for Mach3 software and manual

From what I can see your motors are 2 phase 4 wire bipolar .55 amps per phase
    The easydriver boards would be more then enough and run about $14 a pop
    I dont have any experience with that driver you listed but it uses the same TB6560 ic as the chin board. As for the BOB "break out board" I have that same board in route to me now.

Now I have bin thinking and if you want to use this machine for doing moldings and what not in your house, how big of a cnc are we talking about? Molding and trims are 8' long and then some. I ask because them motors won't have enough balls to cut much else other then balsa wood yet handle that amount of travel

Not trying to rain on your dreams but if you want to spend the least amount of money and end up with a working unit I suggest you keep asking and think 10 times then make the desision and then think 50 more times about it before you do anything. Use this forum and see what works

Page 1 of 3 123