587,147 active members*
5,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNCRouterParts.com question/observation?

CNCRouterParts.com question/observation?

I was looking at the drawings produced by CNCRouterParts.com specifically the extended linear carriage (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/cad/dxf/CRP102-00.dxf) and when I look at the dimensioning for the .dxf they don't sync up with the actual dimensions.

I attached a picture of the dimension I get (5.9108") and the original dimension is (8.866") ... what am I missing here?

Adam,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

It was scaled down for pdf/print probably.

I took a quick look and although I am not familiar with autocad, there's a crude way to get it all to look right.

type SCALE to access the command
    then select all objects
    choose any point as a base point
    put 1.5 as your scale and it should measure properly.

There's probably a much better, more appropriate way to do this.

I noticed that when I drew the measurement, I got the same result as you. Measuring between the 1.5" 1530 bolt spacing yielded 1" which tipped me off to the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    I was looking at the drawings produced by CNCRouterParts.com specifically the extended linear carriage (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/cad/dxf/CRP102-00.dxf) and when I look at the dimensioning for the .dxf they don't sync up with the actual dimensions.

I attached a picture of the dimension I get (5.9108") and the original dimension is (8.866") ... what am I missing here?

Adam,
    Look at the pdf version of the file and the numbers should be correct.

The reason for the two dimensions is probably for the short carriages and the long carriages. All other dimensions should be the same for both carriages.

The actual numbers you are seeing could be due to an AutoCAD property of some sort. When I load the Z plate drawing in TurboCAD v16 it displaces all of the dimensioning lines and numbers.

If I load it into AutoCAD 2007 it looks correct. If I select and copy the plate in AutoCAD 2007 and paste it into a new AutoCAD drawing template in AutoCAD 2007 it then looks like what I see in TurboCAD.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    The sheet has been scaled by 1.5x (5.9108 * 1.5 = 8.866).

(I happened to know that one offhand because I also redrew the part in Alibre)

Quote Originally Posted by Aryantes View Post
    It was scaled down for pdf/print probably.

I took a quick look and although I am not familiar with autocad, there's a crude way to get it all to look right.

type SCALE to access the command
    then select all objects
    choose any point as a base point
    put 1.5 as your scale and it should measure properly.

There's probably a much better, more appropriate way to do this.

I noticed that when I drew the measurement, I got the same result as you. Measuring between the 1.5" 1530 bolt spacing yielded 1" which tipped me off to the scale.
    That seems to get it, thanks. I was just curious as to what was going on and it makes sense now.

Adam,