587,626 active members*
3,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNCFusion Kit Install photos

Threaded View

CNCFusion Kit Install photos

I recently won a used CNCFusion kit from EBay. I thought I would share some photos of the installation process as I proceed. Maybe this will help others miss some of the mistakes I made

First thing I did was read other installation notes (Woodenspoke's especially) about their mistakes so as not to repeat them. I succeeded in that goal, but I found new ways to screw up. I also had a printout of the instructions ont he CNCFusion site, and finally, a printout from www.fignoogle.com about how to take the x and y axis screws apart.

Onward. First step was to remove the table from the saddle. This was easy to do. All you need to do is remove the left end table plate (2 6mm SHCS), loosen the x gibb screws (leave the screws in place), and crank the table to the right until the screw disengages. Then remove the brass nut held in place with two allen head screws (leave the screws in place). The first photo (table_remove.jpg) shows this step.

Next, to remove the Y-axis screw from the base. Just remove (and save the two 6mm SHCS) and spin the lead screw out of the brass nut. Then loosen the SHCS holding the nut in place. Now is a great time to clean the grease off and lube the ways. The second photo shows this step (yaxis_remove.jpg).

Now I switched over tot he CNCFusion directions. I laid the mill on it's back and inserted the ball screw and nut assembly into the slot that held the brass nut, and through the hole in the base. See yaxis_ball.jpg To get the new bearing block/servo mount installed I first tried using the short end of an allen wrench. A better way was to remove one screw from the stepper plate and swing it out of the way (yaxis_plate.jpg). Ok, here comes mistake 1. The instruction state "Pull the saddle forward, so the ballscrew is now sticking out the hole in the base far enough to slide the Y-axis motor mount onto the end of the ballscrew. Re-assemble the Y-axis motor mount to the ballscrew. Be sure to get the collar tight against the bearings." Well for some reason I took this to mean attach the bearing block then push the collar while tightening it's set screw. But it didn't pay much attention to the position of the ball screw with respect to the base. What I mean is that the screw was butted up against the rear of the case ... I could never get it tight. So I took it back apart and “played” with it. It finally dawned on me what I needed to do (at least I think it’s the right way). With the y-axis beating/stepper mount unscrewed, I grabbed the saddle and pulled it as far forward as possible. I used the x-axis brass nut as a spacer to press against the locking collar. To exert the pressure, I used a Quick-Grip against the back of the saddle and the x-axis brass nut (yaxis_collar.jpg).

The X-axis was a PITA. According to figNoggle’s directions the thrust bearings just slide off the leadscrew. Well, on min the rear thrust washer (I’m guessing the name sorry) was stuck solid on my axis. I could get it partially of (maybe .5” of the 2.5” distance) and it would wedge tight. I hate to admit it but I didn’t want to stop, I had already been at it for a few hours, so I went medieval with a baby sledge and a pair of locking pliers to act as an arbor. I already know it was stupid so save the lectures  Maybe others can learn from my haste and waste. The piece finally came free and looked fine so I proceeded. I used 2 Quick-Grip clamps (xaxis_collar.jpg) to apply the pressure for preloading the thrust bearings. The rest of the X was cake.

Which leads me to the Z-axis. Per the instructions I saved the worst for last I’ll type more when I can.

Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table_remove.jpg   yaxis_remove.jpg   yaxis_ball.jpg   yaxis_plate.jpg  

yaxis_collar.jpg   xaxis_collar.jpg