587,603 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > CNC Router Want to Add Plasma Head Questions and Help.

CNC Router Want to Add Plasma Head Questions and Help.

I've got a home built CNC Router that I've had for years and works perfect and is real accurate. Now I just bought a NON-HF start Plasma Cutter and thought I would make an attachment for the router. Now never used a CNC plasma cutter I thought I'd ask if there is anything I missed when setting this up?

I figure since my table is wood just get a piece of 1/16" plate steel to cover the wood table up when cutting with the plasma, then add a 1" high steel grid to hold the material above the table.

Then add a relay to the BOB as I did to turn on my spindle to turn on the Plasma.

Other than that is there any other precaution or modification I need to make?

Also what is a standard height I should have the torch above the work piece?

And where's a good spot or general idea of AMPs I should run for thickness of material and Inches Per Minute on the CNC?

Thanks.

If you have a 1" high grid, and then a 1/16" pice of steel with wood underneath......you will be burning the wood with the hot spray from the plasma.

As far as stand off height.....each plasma is a bit different. You would have to read your plasma system operators manual for that info.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    I've got a home built CNC Router that I've had for years and works perfect and is real accurate. Now I just bought a NON-HF start Plasma Cutter and thought I would make an attachment for the router. Now never used a CNC plasma cutter I thought I'd ask if there is anything I missed when setting this up?

I figure since my table is wood just get a piece of 1/16" plate steel to cover the wood table up when cutting with the plasma, then add a 1" high steel grid to hold the material above the table.

Then add a relay to the BOB as I did to turn on my spindle to turn on the Plasma.

Other than that is there any other precaution or modification I need to make?

Also what is a standard height I should have the torch above the work piece?

And where's a good spot or general idea of AMPs I should run for thickness of material and Inches Per Minute on the CNC?

Thanks.

A water table insert might be beneficial, perhaps (if you have the room) you could build a separate plasma table and move your gantry back and forth.

Our table has 1/8" plate 9" below the cut surface and it is warped beyond recognition. I have 4 by 8 sheets laid in the bottom and have huge gaps were they overlap which allows hot stuff to make its way to the ground in spots.

WSS

Ok good to know. The manual that came with the plasma cutter doesn't mention an optimal stand off height.