587,833 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > CNC Brain is ready! 6-axis Double Closed Loop Controller
Page 32 of 32 22303132
    Does the brain buffer commands ? Does it have ram to store the Gcode as it runs it?

How big is the buffer, or does it just run 1 line at a time from the PC.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Hi Larken,

If you mean can you load a program and unhook the computer the answer is no. I don't know if it is drip feed or block, but I do know the pc has to remain attached. One thing that is different though, is you can run as many brains and programs as your pc has capacity to handle, all doing different jobs on different machines and or different kinds of machines.

Bruce is supposed to have the latest upgrade to the software this weekend, but will just have to wait and see. I have decided to wait no longer to get the low cost linear scales that are coming, but to begin to collect and assemble some of the timing belt tractor encoders in addition to motor mounted encoders. As soon as I get the parts together....that equals $$$, I will start the process, and keep a diary as well as photos and maybe a little video.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Turmite,

Where did you get the low cost scales and tractor belt encoders? I'm curious to know what your setup is going to be like.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing a CNC Brain for my big old Series II Boss9. The thing I do like about the Brain is that it has all the I/O's built in for a simplified setup. I also like the included software interface.

I would have to purchase a breakout board, I/O board and smooth stepper to get similar fexibility, and also purchase Mach3. On the other hand there is so much support for Mach3 right now.

If someone gets it to work successfully on their mill then it would be an easy decision but so far I haven't heard from anyone who's got one moving without some buggers. Hopefully the next update will fix the problems and we can see some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Turmite,

Where did you get the low cost scales and tractor belt encoders? I'm curious to know what your setup is going to be like.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing a CNC Brain for my big old Series II Boss9. The thing I do like about the Brain is that it has all the I/O's built in for a simplified setup. I also like the included software interface.

I would have to purchase a breakout board, I/O board and smooth stepper to get similar fexibility, and also purchase Mach3. On the other hand there is so much support for Mach3 right now.

If someone gets it to work successfully on their mill then it would be an easy decision but so far I haven't heard from anyone who's got one moving without some buggers. Hopefully the next update will fix the problems and we can see some examples.

Let's start with the easiest first. I don't have scales yet. The low cost string scale is something Bruce is working on and I can't give too much info, but proposed price would be around $70 for a long axis like my machine has, approximately 10ft to be close. The other long axis is 8 ft but would not require an encoder that long.

Second, the tractor encoder as I call it is posted further back in this thread somewhere.....I just can remember. It is made using a long length of timing belt glued to a flat surface with another timing belt making contact from the top using a series of pulleys to remove backlash. The center pulley has a shaft with an encoder (rotary) mounted to it. The accuracy of the belts being engaged with no stress on them is used to allow the rotary encoder's signal to be compared to the rotary encoder's signal on the motor. These two, allow you to have dual loop feed back.

Third, you do not have to have Mach 3! The software interface you said you like is all you need. Don't get me wrong, I like Mach, and it made a huge difference for me when I needed help or go out of business, but the time has come to make some changes again, and these changes dictate that I be able to use my cnc to it's fullest potential, and I can't do that with open loop! I will try to find the tractor pick and edit this post with a link!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linear.jpg  
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Smile

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Those scales sound promising and definitely a good deal if they are that cheap. Do you know if there if a possibility of burning out your servo drives if they are always moving trying to auto correct or is this a non issue?

I don't have any experience with either software controller so to me it's all new either way. I especially like the CNC Brain because it has all the connections and potential all in one box, which is very nice. If I were to go with breakout boards, Mach software and I/O boards it would cost me upwards of $700.00 for everything.

BTW, Larry from Larken just noted the CNCBrain should work with Viper drives because it's a step and direction controller. The PWM has only to do with hooking the brain up to older equipment. It works with Geckos too and no DAC board is needed. Sorry if I didn't get the memo on this....Duh

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Just thought I would let everyone know, that Paul (CncAdmin) made a new forum for CncBrain.

This single thread is getting very long.

Looks like it is falling on deaf ears, no postings so far!
    Maybe the only way would be to close this one off.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Do you know if there if a possibility of burning out your servo drives if they are always moving trying to auto correct or is this a non issue?
    It won't hurt the drives, but it will make the motors run hotter and wear out the ball screws.
    I think its best to have a backlash comp in the controller (that only comps when there is a direction change) and not try to let the PID overcome that. Thats going to produce a lot of jerking and wear.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

I was originally under the impression that the Brain was going to close the PID loop? This would take the burden off the drives and allow the use of non-intelligent drives with analogue control, which apparently is now extra to implement?
    Extra electronics required for differential encoders?
    Also it appears that break out box of some kind is required for I/O and encoders etc.
    I originally assumed this would be an almost self contained CNC controller, Unless I have it wrong?
    The web page for the Brain still seems to have problems with Firefox so it is hard to get a true picture of the full specifications and features.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 32 of 32 22303132