586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > CNC 7x12 lathe X axis cutting problem. Any ideas or help plz

CNC 7x12 lathe X axis cutting problem. Any ideas or help plz

Hello all i have a HF 7x12 mini lathe i have converted into cnc. I have taken back lash measurments and compensated the backlash in mach3. I am trying to turn the edge of a 1-1/16 socket i am using the NFS turn wizard to turn this socket. My Z axis is hitting its mark every time on the part. But my X axis is not cutting to the depth i have it programed for. I have checked and rechecked my travel/backlash in the X axis and it hits its mark every time, but my part is not cut to the depth i programmed. Could this be deflection in the socket ? Or maybe there is a problem with my machine setup? Should i have a follower rest behind the socket? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post some pics of my machine later.

Thanks for reading.

Re: CNC 7x12 lathe X axis cutting problem. Any ideas or help plz

The first issue I see is how you are holding the part (socket). You've been lucky it hasn't come flying out - the length you're gripping is mighty short...
    2nd is that a socket is some pretty hard and / or tough steel. You will get a lot more deflection trying to cut it versus a similar size piece of aluminum.
    You don't say how much is it off by? Is it repeatable, does it happen with a different material? Answering these questions will help determine if its inherent to the machine or that particular setup (ie tough material)
    Mike

The convention with lathes is Z is the long axis, and X is the cross slide.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the post been working doubles all week. Yea the chuck is too small I got a larger one on order and waiting for it to come in, I did have a steady rest on the socket but removed it for the picture. the cut is off by .05, I have not tried it with any other material at this time. If I rerun the program I end up with the same results its not like it takes a little more off each time, I know the socket is tough material and thought there would be some deflection but is this a normal amount ? I did check my saddle this morning and found a little play, I took the play out and will try the run again when the new chuck shows up. The Stepper motors are labeled wrong because I swapped them for trial and error testing when setting up mach and im just to lazy to swap them back lol. Thanks again for checking out the post and replying.

On your X are you working in diameter or radius mode? How deep was the cut supposed to be? How far was it off?
    A lazy man does it twice.