587,699 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Chuck question for TL-2 owners.

Chuck question for TL-2 owners.

I'm looking for answers from people that own or work with TL-2's daily.

What does the ID of the spindle actually measure? Is it like 3.03? Can you pass 3 inch rough stock through?

Second what chuck are you using? Brand and size. (Manual three-jaw)

Since the nose is A2-6, and Bison are easiest to get around here, that leaves me with only a 12" three-jaw. Does that seem a little big for a TL-2?

I'm mostly curious, and anxious. I'm ordering mine soon, but the HFO is struggling finding a 10" A2-6 three-jaw...

My TL2 is not 3.03" spindle bore, it is not even 3.00" spindle bore. As near as I can measure it is something like 2.95"; certainly 3" diameter material will not enter.

Your HFO must be looking in the wrong places. I have both 8" and 10" (Bison I think) three jaw chucks each with its own mounting plate.

I think 12" is a bit big. The inertia of that size will certainly mean the spindle takes a lot more time to start and stop, and the machine is not powerful enough to fully utilize the holding diameter of a 12".
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

OOohh, so your not direct mounting them to the spindle nose then?

Mine are the Set-Tru type so they need the mounting plate.

Geof, I don't suppose your in Edmonton? I'de love to see one. I've worked on a TL-1 in school, I just figure I'll buy a TL-2 because it's bigger, and I'll appreciate a little bigger spindle bore and length.

I am in Richmond just outside of Vancouver.

If you are in Edmonton you will be dealing with Skinners so it is strange they cannot source the chucks for you the same as mine.

I run a TL2 with a Bison 8" and a 10"...both work well, but the extra inertia of the 10" is noticeable. I think that a 12" chuck might be a little large, though if you keep the speed down, you might be OK. But you might not have enough horsepower to turn a work piece that large.

And, no, 3" bar stock will not fit through the bore. Even if the bore was 3.00" on the nose, my experience is that bar stock is usually a least a few thou over.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    ...dealing with Skinners...
    Yeah, I'm having issues with them. Twice I have gone in to try to get an estimate on a machine, including delivery. And it just seems he doesn't care. He just keep forgetting. He even writes it down in his little day planner. And the quote system on the Haas site blows...

So another question, you guys running chucks on spindle adapters, do you encounter any bad harmonics? Do you seem to lose much rigidity because you added some distance between the chuck and the spindle?

And could you be so kind as to share the part numbers of the adapters and chucks? I have been looking through so much chuck specs that I may be losing my hair.

Haas lathe spindle and chuck options

The TL-2 does in fact have a 3" bore. These is a really helpful datasheet available at

http://haasportal.net/Portals/57ad71...Lseries_US.pdf.

The lathe normally comes with a 10" chuck. We have provided Bison chucks and/or factory supplied chucks. We have not experienced any issues using chucks on mounting plates versus direct mounts. The chucks must be forged steel body so they are capable of the spindle speeds available on this model. The only challenge we have with Bison chucks has been delivery but that is getting better now.

If you want to use a 12" chuck,we would need to actually measure out how it would fit. While there are several chuck models available in 12" size that would bolt up to the spindle, extending the jaws outside of the chuck diameter may casue the jaws to intefere with the chuck guard, either damaging the guard or causing the lathe to be "alarmed" out.

If you have any questions, you can contact me directly - ross mcdonald - 780-203-2948. If you get my voice mail, leave a number.

[QUOTE=rossmcdonald;1048158]The TL-2 does in fact have a 3" bore.../QUOTE]

I stand corrected and have to apologise; I just checked my TL2 with a piece of round bar. I must be confusing it with the GT20 because I am sure I bought a machine that was supposed to take 3" through the spindle and found it was not quite a 3" bore.

TL2 Spindle bore

I have had 2 TL2's. The one bought in '04 would allow 3" CRS to go thru. The one bought in '08 would not and that really irked me. I questioned Hass dealer and evidently the spec is 3.000 +- .005 Sucks if you get smaller.