587,395 active members*
3,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: cheappilot

cheappilot

I am thinking of purchasing a new CNC machine for light duty work I am a newbie, not a machineist but am looking @ either the Tomach 1100 or the Shopmaster Patriot VFD to also get a CNC lathe. If you operate or have operated either of these machines I would like to hear the pros & cons on either. I an also interested in the support and tooling availiable for both. If you have a different recommendation I would listen.

pros & cons
    no one going to answer this question.on this forums, this is Shopmaster one and only support site.

Finding someone who has owned both machines and can answer your questions will be difficult. Your best bet is to study both forums for pro & cons on each machine. I went with Shopmaster because they offer both lathe and mill in a single unit. You need to determine if you will need both functions or if the majority of your work will be milling only.

I can't speak with any authority as I'm just starting; but I just purchased a Shopmaster (got delivered a couple of weeks ago and I have not set it up since this is a weekend warrior project and i've been out of town for two weekends...) but I chose it because of it providing mill/lathe/cnc in a compact package for a $$ I was willing to spend for a part-time hobby to learn CNC. The Tormach looked interesting but the 1100 was way out of my price range after you start adding things you must have; even the 770 was a higher overall price. The Tormach website offers a lot of good material and support. So far Shopmaster has delivered what I needed and met their delivery schedule. I'll post more as I get it setup.

Larry,
    Let us know when you get it all setup- I have the earlier Patriot with the front mounted lead screw and I hear the center mounted one are a lot smoother- considering moving up.

I do have the Patriot setup. Turned on; still learning things about it. First attempt to get CNC setup has failed. The computer can control the motors to move all the axis but the computer won't turn the spindles on. (yet).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130504_001.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	184492

Larry,
    You lucky dog!!! How are you coming with that new machine? Can you give us some shots of that X axis? How's is integrated to the center of the ways? Is it on top or has the casting for the ways change? maybe laid down in a channel between the ways?

Wormwood

I am still learning the machine, as well as machining in general. I don't know enough to provide a good answer.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I think you're comparing 2 different animals. If you want to do mostly turning with a bit of milling in between, then the patriot might be great for you. I personally find the machine is not especially well suited to milling but it will get the job done if needed.

On the other hand, if you plan to do 100% milling and no turning at all, then Tormach is probably the better choice.