587,917 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap plasma cutter with THC

Hello all I currently have a homebuilt plasma table with a hypertherm 350 and the campbell thc 300. I have used it for about 2 years with great results. But I am now wanting to cut thicker stuff, of course!! Well with the economy and all I am trying to stretch my dollar, of course!! so i found this cheap plasma cutters on ebay made by everlast. It says it is a high frequency and contact start, so I assume that means the same as a hypertherm, as the air pressure makes a contact in the tip? My question is do you guys think this will work with the campbell thc? I do realize it is cheap, so it won't work or last as long as a hypertherm, I am ok with that for now as I only cut small amounts of thicker plate.
    Thanks for your input.

How about adding a oxy torch, to the cnc you already have (low cost)?

A couple of links, for ideas.

http://www.torchmate.com/4_in_thick.jpg

http://www.torchmate.com/photo_of_month.htm

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Cheapie

I bought a 80 amp cheap plasma cutter from Tbolt USA. fun fun stuff. I have a thermal dynamics machine cutting head that i need to figure out how to adapt to it. I believe TD sells kits. Mabye I could use a miller version adapter kit. I had read somewhere else that the THC300 is compatable with high freq. machines (thats what all the cheap ones are).
    I really hope this works out. I cant afford one of the nice machines and im not a fab shop. I just need to cut some shapes here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by dhelfter View Post
    Hello all I currently have a homebuilt plasma table with a hypertherm 350 and the campbell thc 300. I have used it for about 2 years with great results. But I am now wanting to cut thicker stuff, of course!! Well with the economy and all I am trying to stretch my dollar, of course!! so i found this cheap plasma cutters on ebay made by everlast. It says it is a high frequency and contact start, so I assume that means the same as a hypertherm, as the air pressure makes a contact in the tip? My question is do you guys think this will work with the campbell thc? I do realize it is cheap, so it won't work or last as long as a hypertherm, I am ok with that for now as I only cut small amounts of thicker plate.
    Thanks for your input.
    Oxy-Fuel Cutter is cheapest solution. You can use our Capacitive Sensor,
    please visit www.agelkom.com.tr
    regards,

The unit with "high frequency and contact start" is not the same as a Hypertherm contact start.

Hypertherm's contact start, also known as blowback start....does not use high frequency, and fires a robust pilot arc so the on materials thicker than 1/8" it can start the arc with a relatively high standoff from the plate to minimize consumable damage from pierce splatter.

The import system that you mention needs to physically touch the plate to establish the arc.....so on thicker materials the nozzle can be damaged on the first pierce. It also uses a high frequency discharge to ionize the air in the torch...if your cnc is not designed for use with high frequency it can create issues that can damage components on your machine. That type of plasma works adequately for hand cutting applications....but can prove difficult to use for machine (cnc) uses.

Jim Colt