586,630 active members*
2,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > Charter Oak 12Z Conversion ( IH / RF-45 Variant )

Charter Oak 12Z Conversion ( IH / RF-45 Variant )

Welcome to my build thread. I plan on converting my Charter Oak Automation 12Z manual mill from manual to CNC and documenting the process here. The build will probably be very expensive, long, and drawn out but in the end I should have a mill that cuts metal in some sort of accurate fashion.

History
    I've been lurking CNC Zone for many years and haven't posted much except for some RFQs. I initially found CNC Zone because I was interested in CNC Routers for PC Case modding back in my High School and College days. I never had the ambition to make a router but fast forward 10 years and I'm ready again to delve into flights of fantasy and start a home machine shop. As stated previously I have posted some RFQs for parts for my other hobbies and its time that I added the ability to make parts for my hobbies as one of my hobbies.

I Initially was looking at some of the smaller mills like the X2 & X3 then I thought that those probably wouldn't be big enough for some of the parts I was wanting to make. I then started looking at the Grizzly G0704 and Percision Matthews PM-20 as they were a decent size and are quite popular with conversion kits being sold several places. When I was looking at the price difference between the PM-20 and PM-30 / PM-30LV I though that the PM-30LV was the best option as it provided the largest work area at a reasonable price. Unfortunately I began thinking again about what if I the converted the PM-30LV and it was a huge success but I could still use more working area, I would have to upgrade to a bigger mill. To head off this problem I opted for the Charter Oak Automation 12Z. The 12Z provides one of the larger work envelopes in the RF-45 mill platform and from what I've heard is a decent mill.

The Plan
    I plan on doing a conversion that many will say is overkill. I work with servos and electronics as part of my profession so some of the things I like and the way I do things may be unneeded for a home mill conversion but I'm going to try to do things "professionally".

To Do List
    1. Build Mill Model
    2. Model Conversion Parts
    3. Make Electrical Schematics
    4. ???????
    5. Profit / CNC Mill

Feature List
    • CS-Lab CSMIO Controls
    • 3HP 56C Spindle Motor
    • Belt Drive Conversion
    • Tormach Tooling System ( TTS )
    • Power Draw Bar
    • Mach3
    • Automatic Tool Changer ( ATC ) ( Someday )
    • Enclosure
    • Servo Motors
    • Ball Screws

The Video
    Here is the first video of me unloading a opening the mill.

P.S. Props to Hoss and all others that have gone before

Re: Charter Oak 12Z Conversion ( IH / RF-45 Variant )

To help you along check out the thread by "zincboy" where he has modeled the clone of the 12z (an MD-001) - hsi web page is here with the model at the bottom A 3d model of a MD001/Industrial Hobbies/ZAY7045FG milling machine.
    Could save you some time....
    Mike

Thanks ninefinger
    Watch me learn at www.youtube.com/dataprotocnc

Here is an update and run down on what comes with the 12Z. I also go over my Atlas lathe a little.

It has taken me a while but I have come to the conclusion that my day job keeps me too busy to work on a conversion the way I want to do it in a reasonable amount of time. I instead of converting my Charter Oak Automation 12Z I have decided instead to sell it and purchase a Tormach.

In addition to my 12Z mill I had also purchased a complete Phase II rotary table setup for a forth axis conversion. I will be selling the mill and the rotary table along with it. If anyone is interested in one of these let me know. I am only doing local pickup.

Sorry I am not going to be able to join the ranks of people to do a conversion on one of these mills.

Attachment 277486
    Charter Oak Automation 12Z Bed Mill on eBay
    Charter Oak Automation 12Z Bed Mill RF 45 Clone | eBay

Attachment 277488
    Phase II 8" Horizontal / Vertical Rotary Table Bundle on eBay
    Phase II 221 308 8 quot Horizontal Vertical Rotary Table Bundle | eBay

I would be interested but I cannot do full price. Best I can come up with is $1500 cash. Let me know.
    Matt