587,515 active members*
2,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Can anyone help me here? (guitar design)

Can anyone help me here? (guitar design)

I've pretty much finished the model, but I discovered that the neck needs to be tilted back by about 2°, or else the guitar would be pretty much useless.

I tried selecting the fingerboard sketch (flat surface on front of guitar neck) and using smart dimension to adjust to the exact angle I need, HOPING everything else will move with it appropriately. Unfortunately, there were tons of errors when I did that.

Are there any easy ways to go about this without having to move/adjust dozens of features/actions?

It all depends how the model was made.. It's hard to know w/out actually looking at the model. One thing which you should probably do is fully define the model.. It's going to have an effect on how it rebuilds during the changes.. Also, error fixing isn't as hard as you'd think.. Start by making a copy of the model.. this way if you 'implode it' you still have a copy.. then fully define every sketch in the model.. then go back and make your change.. use the roll back feature to step through the model and update the sketch's.. 90% of the time its something pretty simple to fix.. it's usually faster than re-drawing the model..Depending how complex it is.. etc..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the advice.

I discovered that the angle of the neck actually was correct, and the shim's was not. Easy fix. ...Although I really should learn how to move the entire upper half of the guitar if I needed to do a similar procedure in the future.

Nice model of a Rhoads, good luck with the project, I'm quite the Jackson fan myself-Are you building this yourself?
    Dave->..

Jerry is right. You need to "roll back" the features to the basic extrusions then rotatate the Neck. Blend Radius' and Fillet's are usually what makes it seem so difficult to change. Also you might need to delete some of the automatically generated Constraints.

Mike
    www.ballardguitarworks.com

Where the neck meets the body;

The neck end face is on defined angle plane, defined by a plane midpoint, or so, between the body end plane and the gap between. Loft between the two end planes or sweep using sketchs converted from the end faces. You can get creative with a spline following the guide paths or play around with surfaces and wrap features where nearly any closed sketch could wrap the surface, you know, fun stuff like an engraving or monogram.

Scott

This post makes me curious. I am guessing that you are going to mill out a guitar from this file. And if so you are probably not going to mill out the guitar from one solid block of wood. So, I would think that you should model the body and neck separately and put your 2* tilt in the neck pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherWood View Post
    This post makes me curious. I am guessing that you are going to mill out a guitar from this file. And if so you are probably not going to mill out the guitar from one solid block of wood. So, I would think that you should model the body and neck separately and put your 2* tilt in the neck pocket.
    Indeed this would be the correct way to do it.

BTW thats a nice looking axe you've got modeled there, very metal I'm an Ernie Ball fan myself, but there is nothing quite like shredding on a V

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherWood View Post
    To add to that, if your actually going to make the guitar, you'll want to add some form of reinforcement to the neck to hold the string tension.