587,787 active members*
2,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

Come on junior, let's play

Let us know how much you want for that piece of junk that you keep complaining about.

You've been calling people stupid and calling Taylor a cockroach. Apparently, you can give it but don't take it very well.

They're only two kinds of days junior. A bad day when you die and a good day when you don't. In life, you only have one bad day. Be thankful for the rest. The revenge which you seek is a meal best left on the table and not carried with you. It only poisons you if you eat it.

Taylor may or may not survive this economy. No matter. If he fails, we all have an obsolete machine with little value. When the economy turns up, he will probably be back or sell his designs to someone else to manufacture. He will land on his feet because he is an innovator with a good design.

If he fails now, we all lose a source for parts and possible warranty replacements. If he sells his designs, the parts will again be available at a price without a warranty. That's just simple economics. It's nothing but a little money. The great Obama will print more of it every day. In a few years, what you paid for the machine might buy a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter.

We all, including you have an interest in Taylor surviving and doing well.

Now have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
    If you look at the new ad, he describes the castings as fine gray cast iron. That is a change from meehanite cast iron.
    Fine gray castings are up to the stresses and pressures which this machine will produce. The straight handles, I'll get used too or build circular replacements.
    I spoke with Taylor on Monday. He informed me that my machine was in but the DRO had not arrived. He wanted to know if I wanted it shipped and let the manufacturer drop ship the DRO to me or wait. I spoke with him yesterday, the DRO's are being shipped, should arrive there by next Wednesday, my machine will ship next week.

At least Taylor is in business and making efforts to deliver. Many US companies continued to take orders even though they were going out of business. Those consumers were stuck. Grizzly will take an order, bill you, and have no delivery date scheduled from their factory in China. This is the worst economic situation since the 1930's. In ways worse, because we are spoiled and want it now and perfect.
    I may be wrong, but I think the term " meehanite" is actually a trade name. It refers to a specific formulation of gray iron castings. Maybe the change was at the request of the meehanite company.

Let us know how much you want for that piece of junk that you keep complaining about.

You've been calling people stupid and calling Taylor a cockroach. Apparently, you can give it but don't take it very well.

They're only two kinds of days junior. A bad day when you die and a good day when you don't. In life, you only have one bad day. Be thankful for the rest. The revenge which you seek is a meal best left on the table and not carried with you. It only poisons you if you eat it.

Taylor may or may not survive this economy. No matter. If he fails, we all have an obsolete machine with little value. When the economy turns up, he will probably be back or sell his designs to someone else to manufacture. He will land on his feet because he is an innovator with a good design.

If he fails now, we all lose a source for parts and possible warranty replacements. If he sells his designs, the parts will again be available at a price without a warranty. That's just simple economics. It's nothing but a little money. The great Obama will print more of it every day. In a few years, what you paid for the machine might buy a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter.

We all, including you have an interest in Taylor surviving and doing well.

Now have a nice day.
    Unfortunately there is little chance that Digital will comprehend what you are saying- others have said it again and again. I think JT has positioned himself well for the tough times- he runs a very basic operation with low overhead and has survived a number of economic downturns since he started back in '81. The companies that are on the brink are those that have large fixed overheads and contracts for a large variety of products. JT may not be a millionaire, but he can probably plug along day to day and makes his expenses without losing any sleep.

Digital

I've seen some of your work. You've been blessed with some talent.

Something that I learned or at least heard most of my life. Sometimes learning truth takes a while.

"The best revenge is a long happy life."

If someone truly dislikes you, hates you, and wishes you harm.....the greatest revenge that you can get is to be happy. And show it to them.

Meehanite may be a trade name. I have seen it in ways on the net where it appears that way, but I have also seen it referred to as the highest quality of cast iron. I did some research on Meehanite and fine gray iron. The specs for Meehanite were higher in terms of strength than the fine gray iron which I found. I think as long as JT keeps using the ISO 9001 factory, the quality should be fine.

Someday, he will sell his designs because, like all of us, he will want to retire. I retired 10 years ago at age 52. Best job I never had. He called this morning to tell me that the DRO arrived yesterday and that Roadway is supposed to pick the machine up the afternoon. It should arrive next Tuesday. Now if I just had a place for it. I poked around in that corner again. I found more stuff than I thought. Five motors, four transmissions, a full rear axle assembly, the radial saw, and so many other treasures. And I have to move the 31 Plymouth roadster out far enough to back the trailer or the truck in to unload the machine. I'm just sorting out the engine in the 41 coupe so neither of them is under their own power now.

The 31 may get a 413 with sonoramic commando intake manifolds that I have. I think Dodge called theirs ramcharger. The carbs sit about 42 inches apart center to center. Some of you older guys might remember those from the early 60's mopars.

Sharpshooter.....do you do rifle barrel threading and chambering on your machine?

Unhappy

Digitalmdj,

I am still interested in purchasing your Shoptask, do you want to sell it or not?

This is my third or fourth request, it would be nice to get some sort of answer.

Its almost the weekend and I have not heard back from you, hopefully you are doing ok.

Your Pal,

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

The 31 may get a 413 with sonoramic commando intake manifolds that I have. I think Dodge called theirs ramcharger. The carbs sit about 42 inches apart center to center. Some of you older guys might remember those from the early 60's mopars.
    Oh-Yeah- as if the 413 didn't have enough torque already. The carbs sat out by the inner fenders. Those were the days when MOPAR was MOPAR- now its MO-PASTA

hey ira have you got your money or machine back yet?

JoeyB

What is this? Four request and no answer. Actually, I don't think digital wants to sell his machine. It apparently runs pretty well or he would jump on the opportunity. Actually, all in all he is probably a fairly smart boy, just needs a few decades to think about it.

I love my old mopars. I still have the 68 Satellite that I bought new in June 1968. My son left his 70 Duster that we built while he was in school here and drives a Corolla everyday. It gets around 38 mpg as opposed to 15 for the Duster. I have an old 72 Coronet with 49,000 miles that belonged to my mom before she died. I need to get rid of it. Maybe.

When I was a kid around 5, my dad had a 41 plymouth coupe. I would ride on the package tray and look at the Sears Roebuck and the Montgomery Ward Christmas catalogs. That was in 1952. My older brother and an older neighbor kid were playing cops and robbers one day. Dad's car was the get away car, so they filled the gas tank with sand and dumped some down the carburetor. He didn't even to get to the street. I finally found one a couple of years ago. I put in a 318 Poly head with factory dual quad intake. I like to old Poly head valve covers. I was going to use an A833 OD transmission, but decided to go with automatic because my wife wants to drive it. She says that she can drive stick, but she slips the clutch at 4800 rpm's when she backs up. Or should I say glazes the clutch at 4800.

Building and restoring Mopars is challenging. Few parts suppliers. It's getting worse. There have been two major parts suppliers for the American auto industry shut down within 30 or 40 miles of me. I hope this economy picks up soon. It's all about survival right now for so many companies and people.

I think the 31 roadster will look wild with the long rams hanging out over the fenders. My dog and I in the front, my wife and her dog in the rumble seat.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Roadster,

I still have not heard back from Digitalmdj, maybe he has changed his mind and does not want to sell his Shoptask.

You are right, he can't find a more heavy duty machine for the money.

No doubt Digitalmdj has a flair for painting but I don't need any special color combinations.

Even if it still needed some small modifications or adjustments , most of the guys here could handle that with ease.

JoeyB
    Maybe that's why he is so fired up again- there were a few months when he didn't post anything, then he posted pictures of his machine all painted green. Some of us thought he was going to do something positive. Originally he tried to copy the red/white/blue paint scheme- that took him about a year. Just as he is getting it all painted, JT changes the color and now he has to start all over. His pal Midol still has a full cnc system, ball screws and DRO for the machine- they should form a joint venture.

joint venture

I thought norvil was going to put the Shoptask CNC, DRO, and ball screws on another machine. Must be good stuff.

Guess some of the guys think Taylor makes the parts. When I was working with equipment contracts, sometimes it was challenging. I had the company to deal with, the company had a manufacturer, the manufacturer had suppliers, the suppliers had suppliers, and so on. You could end up having some little guy making small parts in his basement in Canada holding up a million dollar machine. Nobody would let you have direct contact with anyone. Each level touched the part and each level made their profit. The expense of having parts made one off was prohibitive and sometimes impossible.

I tip my hat to these companies like Shoptask that are dealing with foreign manufacturers. The cost of making things here is prohibitive to the point of an impossibility. Then you're dealing with people overseas who don't understand or care how fast Americans expect things to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    Oh-Yeah- as if the 413 didn't have enough torque already. The carbs sat out by the inner fenders. Those were the days when MOPAR was MOPAR- now its MO-PASTA
    There was another manifold where the dual quads sat sort of offset as well-
    Too about about Chrysler- I go for the new name MO-BAMA

I thought norvil was going to put the Shoptask CNC, DRO, and ball screws on another machine. Must be good stuff.

Guess some of the guys think Taylor makes the parts. When I was working with equipment contracts, sometimes it was challenging. I had the company to deal with, the company had a manufacturer, the manufacturer had suppliers, the suppliers had suppliers, and so on. You could end up having some little guy making small parts in his basement in Canada holding up a million dollar machine. Nobody would let you have direct contact with anyone. Each level touched the part and each level made their profit. The expense of having parts made one off was prohibitive and sometimes impossible.

I tip my hat to these companies like Shoptask that are dealing with foreign manufacturers. The cost of making things here is prohibitive to the point of an impossibility. Then you're dealing with people overseas who don't understand or care how fast Americans expect things to happen.
    i had planned on making a router with the cnc parts, but i really am not going to have the time, so i will give the screws to jsmith so he can have some use for that piece of chit he was kind enough to haul off, at least one of us will get some use out of it. if you are real careful you might get some use as a drill press out of it but only if you don't have to hold to tight a tolerance.
    roadster if you ever get yours set up, load up a program and push the start to cycle button, then tell me how that worked out. in the mean time most everyone on this forum knows who i am, where i live, and my day and nite phone numbers,they are plastered all over this forum, so the next time you and your dogs load for a little trip, come on by i got a little something to show you. in the meantime i wish you well with your new shoptrash.

sincerely yours
    robert williams
    745 south main street
    petal,ms
    601 584-8450 day
    601 583 6228 nite

Thanks for the invite

I didn't purchase a CNC system. The machine is nothing more than a tool to do other projects. I don't want it to become a project in itself. I see where it could. It seems that CNC could become involved. I think DRO is all that I want to handle. I probably won't even use the DRO much. I've been doing things the old way about eight or nine years now. I'm just tired of driving 120 miles round trip to use the school's equipment. Kind of used to doing things noncompter. My main machine project will be to make a cover so no one will see it and expect me to fabricate things for them. That or I can tell them that it belongs to my son. He lives 600 miles away. You know how friends are. They want it fast, free, and factory perfect.

I have too many projects anyway. I was cleaning up today and saw the Parker PH double that I finished inletting the stock for months ago along with an LC Smith 20 gauge that I am restocking. I think I have three more guns in the safes that I plan to restock.

If God will let me live to finish the projects that I have planned or started, I have another 300 years left. A little longer if I have to cut the grass again. As I tell my wife, it will all die back in the winter.

Glad to see that you have a setup that you can live with. Do you have wild pheasant down there?

"Do you have wild pheasant down there?"

i don't know about wild pheasants, but there are a couple of old farts around here that can get pretty wild,if you rile then up and by the way they are not impressed by anonymity.

shopmaster equals bad quality

Don't buy a Shopmaster if you want a good reliable quality machine.

Welcome 1324

I guess the 1324 means that you have a Smithy. I looked at those also but the Smithy is just an old John Taylor Shoptask design. Smithy should try to get an ISO 9001 certified manufacturer to build their machine. It would still be an outdated design.

Good luck to you with your little Smithy.

Are you in California in a treeless community and drive a Jeep? If so, welcome back digital. I received my tracking number from Roadway today with a tentative delivery date of next Thursday. It's somewhere in Texas right now.

I guess the 1324 means that you have a Smithy.
    Are you in California in a treeless community and drive a Jeep? If so, welcome back digital. I received my tracking number from Roadway today with a tentative delivery date of next Thursday. It's somewhere in Texas right now.
    Digital has been promoting the Smithy's for a while- makes you wonder why he didn't buy one in the first place. I don't think he knows himself.

No your wrong. But I am defiantly not promoting the Shoptrash. Smithy just happens to have the top slide that will work with my machine and tool post. Just like JT they never have spare parts. He wants your money so he can order the machine . Also his supplier is starting to sell the machines direct which will cut out JT. He no longer has a exclusive on the design.

just wondering if the OP got his machine in. Someone else just picked up a machine. Just wondering maybe it was in the same container.

Good Luck
    Flathead

Hey what did you end up paying?

Page 3 of 5 12345