587,104 active members*
4,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Butt connector in my motor windings?

Butt connector in my motor windings?

Anyone know if I can use a butt connector on a wire that connects inside my motor windings? Also can I use electrical tape to wrap a burn out on another wire inside the winding area of my motor? Also the wire I need to splice together is about .025, are there butt connectors that size?

Zip,
    The answer is... That depends... would you be able to get the crimpers around it in place? They do make them that small. You may be able to find them at Radio Shack. I would be tempted to use the uninsulated ones and coat it with enamel after crimping.

What kind of motor are you talking about?

Standard vinyl electrical tape is probably not a good idea inside a motor. The heat would soften the adheasive and possibly melt the tape. You might try enamel on the "burn out" area. Fingernail enamel should work for that, and it will bind the wire to the others to keep it from vibrating and further damage.

Steve

Well I tried it and no cigar. And now to make things even worse, my TV took a crap and is stuck on one channel(a religious channel of all channels).
    So now I have to wait awhile before I can get a motor replacement. Thanx for the info

If you are having problems with electrical items burning out or malfunctioning like that all of a sudden... check your line voltage at the outlets. I know a guy that lost the neutral at his meter connection and burnt out many items in his house. With the neutral missing it caused electrical items to be put in series across 220 V. The lights would vary in brightness when other things were turned on or off.

Steve

Why do you want to splice a wire inside your motor? Did the wire break? Are you trying to connect something different to it? What is your plan?
    If you have access to the area, you can just scrape some insulation off the wires and literally butt them together, and solder them. Then you can coat that area with motor winding insulation "stuff". I bought a can of General Electric "Glyptol" more than a decade ago and still have it. Never tape inside a motor armature. On a stator (the field) you can use the liquid insulation in several coats to build up its thickness and hold it in place. There are many ways to do many things, but you have not given a good description of what happened. I would never use a crimp connector because you can do the same thing without it. There are other things that you can use besides Glyptol. There is a clear, high voltage liquid that radio guys use called "Q dope". It is better than Glyptol. Write some more about what you are trying to do any maybe I can give you some better ideas.

Thanx guys but I,m just gonna get a new motor. I was splicing the wire in the winding because it broke. I was just trying to save some money. But I tried it and it still making grinding noises and causing the breaker to flip. Yeah somewhere deep in the winding its messed up and shorting out.
    Anyway I have to wait on it as mentioned above the TV out and that is top priority as far as repairs go.

God

Sounds like devine intervention!:nono:

I don't like to trust just coatings. Use some heat shrink tubing on it too after cleaning up any sharp edges.
    I used to be appalled, now I'm just amused.