587,319 active members*
3,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Building a gun?

Has anyone here completely fabricated a gun? Fabricating a gun has always fasinated me, I think that once I get a big enough mill, Im going to make an AR15 lower and maybe upper like cncgunsmithing.com but for now, I was thinking that I want to make a .22 pistol. I dont think I'd have a problem actually fabricating one, a few things I would have to consider are the clip/magasine I would use and the firing/reloading(semi-automatic) mechanism.

I did a search on google and found a few things, this one guy jimmyrigged a 9mm machine pistol out of random crap.

I think it was a member here, not gonna post his name but he hasnt been here for a while,(not totally sure but this a guy in another forum showed his shop as his own so Im asuming it was him) has made a suppressor and had a automatic .22cal ar15 replica(or conversion kit).

I was thinking I would make almost everything billet aluminum, then get a barrel and most likely thread it into the reciever.

I think a little pocketgun would be awesome, a friend of mine has one and it is just tiny, almost would consider taking it apart and replicating most of it.

Jon

Since you're in the USA, the first place to check is http://www.atf.treas.gov/
    Do a quick search there on building one and it'll cut a lot of potiential headaches out asap.

I'm a target shooting fanatic and have built a couple bolt action rifles for myself but I have not built an ar lower but dont tkink I would be a hard task.

Thanks, I'll be checking into the laws before I actually build this. I still got a little less than a year untill I can legally own it

Jon

I have check into this and you can build all you want as long as its for yourself and not going to be transfered to someone else.

pretty good machinist...

one question i would ask... WHY MAKE STOCK PARTS WITH NO REDESIGN?!?!?!

to think of that machining time put into photocopying..

Thanks man, saves a little time, I have a couple people to ask. Im more or less wanting to figure out how the trigger and reloading mechanisms work

I will have to take a look around for some of that, I am assuming noone here has built one nor has drawings?

vacpress, I wouldnt exactly duplicate them, I would use the concept and make my own.

Jon

i guess i was talking about that cnc gunsmithing.com site.

i totally understand the desire to create parts for guns.. but i dont understand making stock designs... it seems so.... braindamaged... i mean... making exact replicas of little pistols?

i am not a gun person though.

As far as the laws go I want to make it clear that I mean semiauto only.Full auto and ilegal silencers will get you in deep sh$$.

Traceycnc300, I know restrictions on full autos and silencers and all, I have looked into that. You can actually legally obtain a full auto, a silencer or even make a silencer in most states with the proper paperwork and a few months of waiting.

I would like semi-auto at most if I can. Im still not sure if I'll ever do this, more of a concept type thing that woudl be fun to do.

Jon

I was in no way tring to scare you.I know that these thing can be legally purchased with the right paper work.I just did not want to mislead anyone in any statments I made earlier. :cheers:

It would be nice if we could keep this thread going guns are one of my favorite subjects and I would love to here feed back from some of you other guys.Do any of you target shoot?If so seriusly or just plinking for fun.I have found that machining has made it possible for me to build high quality rifles that I would other wise be unable to buy.The prices just keep going up.

Hi JFettig,

Here's a pair of 1911 Colt .45 clones I recently finished on my cnc converted Grizzly mini-mill. I made the frames from aluminum and the slides from stainless steel. I bought the barrel and many of the internal parts, but made the sights, trigger, mainspring hsg, hammer strut and firing pin lock. I have over a hundred rounds through each of them and after the initial tuning, they function great.

I know you said you wanted to build an AR15, but I'll be glad to answer any general build questions if I can.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Final1 1911 - 001.jpg   Final1 1911 - 002.jpg   Final1 1911 - 003.jpg  

Thanks tim, those look incredible especially being made on a mini mill! My first AR will likely be a build from parts or I'll just buy one if I find a deal on one. Im sure I'll want to make my recievers eventually myself.

Tracycnc, I do a lot of plinking, 'people I know' own a few nice riffles which I shoot quite a bit, MAK-47(AK 47's), HK USC with modified lower(to accept greasegun mags), and various other guns.

I gotta figure out what I want to do this summer, my options seem to be AR15 or Seig X3. possiblity of both but I doubt it, depends on the job I wind up with for the summer.

Jon

JFettig heres a rifle action I just finished.I havent been able to shoot the rifle yet but hope to soon as I get the stock work done.I have several good drawing of the AR15 lower whenyou get ready for them let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new2.bmp  

post em now man!

Some others of us might be interested!

Me me me me!

And thats a nice bolt action. Do you polish your bolt by hand? and what kinda hardening procedure do you use?
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I haven't done a great deal of firearms modifications, and the thought of building a complete ' new design' reciever is probably beyond my capabilties, but I found that it was relatively easy to improve the fit [and final accuracy] of production receivers with mostly hand tools..I prefer the Remington actions for occasional target style rifles, but I really like the final appearance of the old 08 Mauser actions [and similar] ..
    The image attached is a 15 year ago project with a glued in bonded sleeve in 222 Remington Improved...pretty much obsolete for competition, but still more than sufficient for pasture poodles...
    Current amusement project is a pre 64 trapper with a 16" bull barrel in .223...why not??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 222i.JPG  

gattling gun!

I vote for a gattling gun!

although I don't know how legal that would be in your juristiction.

I know it would be "trip to place without windows" round here.....

I have recently acquired an Industrial Hobbies mill that I am CNC retrofitting for gunsmithing purposes. I have all the drawings downloaded and ready for machining from cncgunsmithing.com. It's an excellent site! But I too have wondered about all the internals. I'm currently turning this wonderful engraver I picked up as a digitizer. I figure I'll buy a set of AR15 parts for upper and lower and digitize them. No one seems to have that anywhere on the net. At least I can't find it, and I've searched high and low! I'm very interested in anyone that has done there own bolt action, as that's the one I'm primarily interested in. Some great talent has already presented itself in this thread, and I hope the thread stays alive!

WilliamD, cncgunsmithing has some IGS files up for the uppers and lowers.

Jon

Page 1 of 5 123