3,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: BT30 Spindle

Page 11 of 29 91011121321

Re: BT30 Spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Thanks Mark. What is your location?
    I'm in New Hampshire, Sea Coast area. I had a shop a few years ago and had to close up due to the economy. Had my stuff in storage and ended up selling off all my machines. Still have one for home stuff. The tooling I had kept as some of the tooling will work with my current machine. However all the NTBM30 stuff I have no need for. It's in good shape and have a couple sets of collets to go with the holders.

You have made excellent progress on this project. Good idea assembling it first with 6xxx cheap bearings. Would be a shame to find out you have an alignment issue between the two bearing seats, and kill some expensive AC bearings.

Mark
    Regards,
    Mark

By the way, I got some 6xxx series bearings. I'll do all my tests fittings etc with them. That way my angular contact bearings remain new and clean. : )
    Are the bearing specs (precision / fit class) the same? You may adjust fit for the 6xxx and find it is not right for your AC bearings.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Ouch. Let me check.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I cut in my CNC the holes for M6 bolts on the outer labyrinth seal. The end mill line is due to a program error. Actually my mistake. It's not deep tho. 0.1 mm deep or so. No problem.

Hi Suat,

You're doing a good job, all looking really nice!

Don't you put it back in the lathe to restore a nice finish with giving it a small touch up ?

I may have missed it, but what is your objective with this spindle, I guess you're not planning to use it on your router :-)

Regards, Ard

Hi Ard,

Actually this project is the part of a much larger project. I'll build a new a router style machine for this spindle. For the frame I'm thinking tubular steel or EG frame. I haven't decided yet but my main goal is to machine carbon steels with this machine.

Yes, I'll do the cosmetic after the whole spindle is done.

Thanks

OK,

I'm also building (loooong term project :-( ) a ne mill for my SX3 but chose vertical style mill again.

But I am still not sure if I should go with the Tormach system and R8 spindle or changing to a BT30 with is superior of course, But at 2.2 kW power R8 could be OK while it is much easier to produce toolholders etc.

But in case I pursued something like you did, would you share your SW files with me??

Why did you choose router style above a vertical mill, BTW: did you see this one? I like it a lot: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ing-large.html

My column:
    Attachment 320714

Ard, it looks very sturdy and solid. Is the column made of tubular steel? Did you fill it with something or is it hollow?

By sharing you mean the BT30 SW files? Sure. PM me your email.

As I said I haven't fully decided what type of a machine to build but I want big cutting area. The fixed gantry style is probably the best option but moving base I don't really like. I really don't know what to build yet.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Hi Suat,

It is tubular steel 200x150 filled with epoxy granite, but internally I left it hollow because at 80 kgs I think it should be heavy enough, can only hope that the dampening effect will be sufficiant but surely is better then the column of my Sieg..

Very nice you're willing to share with me, I'll send you a PM.

OK, but you can't have a fixed gantry without a moving base. Well you CAN - but... :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1228.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	320716

I cut a 45 degree chamfer (couldn't resist : ) )

Hi everyone,

As I don't have a mill it's not easy for me to trill the holes for bolts on the main body flange. To solve this I cut a part in my CNC. It has the holes in correct location. With it I can easily drill the holes in my bench drill.

As I don't have a mill it's not easy for me to trill the holes for bolts on the main body flange.
    Good Thinking.

Kinda hate the overly large chamfer. That's going to look odd when the capscrews are in there, unless that's the look you were after.

Hi,

Yes, I didn't like the sharp turn and cut the chamfer.

I don't know yet if the spindle will run hot or not but I'm planning to make water cooling jacked for it.

I don't know yet if the spindle will run hot or not but I'm planning to make water cooling jacked for it.
    How fast are you expecting to run it at? There are bearing limitations no matter what, and that largely depends on the type of lubrication used.

One spindle can't be all spindles. Build one for highspeed then.

Drilled and tapped but I have a problem and a question.

Problem: I tapped one hole a little slant but it is slant enough not to fit in its hole. Is there anything to do for this problem? One thing came into my mind is to use a helicoil. What do you think?

Question: The mounting holes (outer 8 holes) are 8 x 5mm for now. I'll enlarge them to 8.5mm (for M8 bolt). What if make them for M6 bolts but not M8? Will 8 x M6 bolts make the spindle and the bracket tight enough?

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    How fast are you expecting to run it at? There are bearing limitations no matter what, and that largely depends on the type of lubrication used.

One spindle can't be all spindles. Build one for highspeed then.
    I downloaded the PDF and noticed my bearings are rated 10k RPM when grease lubricated. That was the speed I was planning to run it at so no problem here

Drilled and tapped but I have a problem and a question.

Problem: I tapped one hole a little slant but it is slant enough not to fit in its hole. Is there anything to do for this problem? One thing came into my mind is to use a helicoil. What do you think?
    This problem has been solved. I chucked up the M6 tap to my hand drill and turned it into to hole with counter force. It easily removed the wrong tapped material. It's good now.

The metal sheet between the shaft and the labyrinth seal is 0.05mm thick so I have a very nice gap. 0.1mm total in diameter. Just what I wanted. I think this spindle will run very nice. I can't wait to get it running.

Nice work Azalin, I'm looking forward to seeing your spindle in operation.

I'm hoping to build something similar when I get a little bigger manual lathe.

Page 11 of 29 91011121321