587,913 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Brushles DC Servos works in CNC?

Brushles DC Servos works in CNC?

Hi!!!

I have a lot of questions about this kind of servos, so, first I like to know if this brushless servos can be controled with Step and direction? and use it with Geckos?
    My second questions is about what is "Hall Sensors" and what is the advantage of have Hall Senors!!!! ( if someone knows where can I read some literature about)

Actually, I have a couple of Brushless servos, and I'm prety confused about the wiring, this motors have a connection with 16 wires!!!, and have names as follows:

Wires 1, 2 ----> HU HALL OUTPUT
    Wire 3 ----> HW WINDING (Phase 1)
    Wire 4 ----> HV WINDING (Phase 2)
    Wire 5 ----> HU WINDING (phase 3)
    Wires 6, 7 ----> HV HALL OUTPUT
    Wires 8, 9 ----> 16 Cycle Square Pickup Loop
    Wires 10,11 --> Hall effect BIAS (3 DEVICES)
    Wires 12,13 --> HW HALL OUTPUT
    Wire 14 ----> "BASE" of 486
    Wire 15 ----> "COLLECTOR" of 486
    Wire 16 ----> "EMITTER" of 486

If you guys knows what are this wires for, and how could I use, please let me know!!

THANKS!!!
    Before you can make it, you need dream it!!!

What make are these Motors? There is usually not that many connections. Hall effect sensors are just solid state devices used to commutate the power to the stator windings. Some older motors also have an AC tach, which your just might.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I think the answer you're looking for is that it cannot be used with Geckodrives or pretty much anything else that won't break the bank. These types of motors (brushless) require a controller that feeds out three phase power.

I like to think of brushless motors as very coarse steppers (when I'm not thinking of them as three phase ac motors.) The halls are required for the controller to tell where the rotor is so that it can apply current to the right windings. Halls measure the magnetic field of magnets on the rotor. You can see by the pinout that there is a correspondence between the stator windings and the Hall sensors. I believe that the Hall bias would be the power, one of the hall output lines would be ground and the third the output. This should be verified.

Current practice is to use an encoder in conjunction with the Halls in order to provide much better rotary position info to the controller. Your motors may have a simplified version of this in the "16 Cycle Square Pickup Loop." I would ignore this unless I could find a controller meant for these motors.

I have no idea why there would be a transistor in there.

You need brushless motor controllers for these motors. Rutex is the only affordable new controller I know of, others are in the $500 American range.

HU, HV and HW almost have to be the windings for the motor. There should be a very low resistance between these wires.

Rutex is the way to go, they make an inexpensive brushless drive with step and dir input.
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com