587,497 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Interact 4 Spindle Problems

Hi, i just bought a Series 2 Interact4 with a TNC 150 for next to nothing. I did however buy it with the knowledge that the spindle did not run. I was told it had to do with the spindle motor brushes and I believed this to be true as they were badly worn and starting to dig into the commutator. So I made some spacers and moved the brush pack up onto a pristine area on the commutator and put in some new brushes, I thought I was home free but as luck would have it the motor just hums and does not turn and come to find out the error light on the Contraves drive is lit. I removed the terminals from the motor and put 12 volts to the motor and it wants to turn so I figure the motor is good and something popped in the drive when the original brushes went to hell. Is there a thermal overload or possibly something as simple as a reset on the contraves drive that will get me up and running. All the fuses are good and the main contactor pulls in to give power to the drive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Maxvic

Spindle motor won't start

I had a thought about this, Is there possibly a parameter or a Bit that gets set if the drive sees overcurrent or a fault that might have to be manually toggled?

What is the Model# on the Contraves Drive?

BTW,
    I did ask about that operator manual and He is going to check to see if it is there somewhere.

Hey A1, that is a very good possibilty, I will look in the Heidenhain manual more thoroughly and thanks for checking with Bill. Not much info on the drive itself except for a Contraves sticker but I'll look again. I could not find any year of manufacture info anywhere on the mill - I'm guessing mid 80's.