587,213 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport EZ Trak info sharing thread

Hello, I'm an EZ Trak owner and it may be helpful for owners to share general info.

My BP has been running well since 1996, I have done some great projects on it. I've discovered some interesting things about the old "EZ Crash"! If you have any useful info, please share it here.

To begin with, here is a nice tidbit: Recently I had to replace the bulb behind the green button on the motor control pendant. It is a #949 bulb, 130V, and McMaster-Carr has them, p/n 1505K422, $9.86 each. 949 bulbs are common enough, but Light Bulb Emporium also has a LED replacement version, which should last quite a bit longer: p/n 81190EK (www.lightbulbemporium.com).

Also recently replaced and something that makes my Trak very happy is a new keypad. It is a direct replacement and fixed the aggravating "double-key" syndrome. Older EZ Traks had a slightly different key style, which might make it hard to re-use the colored keys, but somewhere around 1995 they went to this style. Go to MaxGeek or ErgoGeek (through Amazon) and get the Ione Scorpius-32 keyboard - p/n SC32 - $44.95 (Helps to Google it.)

Monitors are another issue. If yours burns out, a flat-screen LCD will work, and it comes up in color. If you want a close fit, try a 9" VGA Monochrome monitor, I got one but don't want to tear into it until my original monitor goes bad. Possibly this one will work: http://www.provantage.com/miracle-bu...7~7MRCL00N.htm
    When I first searched for the monitor, EMI said they could do a better-than-original retrofit, but you have to send the pendant back and it's not cheap. Not sure if that still stands. http://www.emi-inc.net/

Links like that are very good to know about. Also see http://www.hardingerepair.com/

I am in the process of rebuilding an Ez-Trak and appreciate you starting this thread. I do not have much to add yet but most likely will when I am done with my machine. Thanks for the keyboard info; I am going to order one tonight. Mine is sticky and down right ugly and I was afraid to price one from EMI or Hardinge.

EZ Trak

i have just started upgrading my ez trak because i have some spare time before x-mas. the mill has been down for almost a year now, and i replaced it with a Milltronics VKM 4 that had been repo'd in my part of the country. i am using parts from EMI for the rebuild, along with my own retrofitting. i needed a new motherboard from EMI along with new software and disc on module. i built my own enclosure to hold a 15" lcd monitor and full keyboard. this weekend it should be up and running.

keith

EZ trak failure

Hi everyone i have a eztrak sx but when i turn off this machine from the main power swicth on the back and i try to turn on again the machine does not start i have a diskette but the not start correct on the screen show floating error.
    somebody can help me to get a copy of the startup files i think my diskette is damage.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by super-cochikui View Post
    Hi everyone i have a eztrak sx but when i turn off this machine from the main power swicth on the back and i try to turn on again the machine does not start i have a diskette but the not start correct on the screen show floating error.
    somebody can help me to get a copy of the startup files i think my diskette is damage.

thanks.
    Hola, cochikui, I think maybe you have either a floppy disk drive failure or just the floppy as you guessed. The computer boots every time you start the machine and it wears out the floppy. I can try to help you get a new diskette made, I think if I post the file set or send it to you, you can make a new floppy. Monday I can try that. It's less than 1.44Mb, so not too big - I hope. That used to be a lot, but nowadays it's a small file! See if you can send a PM (private message) on this forum, and send your email address, I might be able to email you the copy.

eztrak info

Hello Yes it would be interesting to get more info from other users, I have a later version of the Ez-trak which is a Ez-plus 3 axis with the later upgrade of controls and the colour LCD screen but the menus are almost identical. It has proved to be a good reliable machine at the moment although I did have a problem after about 1 month in when the main isolator went down I picked up a replacement from Ebay which was fortunate as a replacement from Hardinge Bridgeport was about $2500.00, in the UK the version we have is slightly different in that there are a couple more manual switches which is all to do with health and safety and unfortunately the US version of software will not run on it due to the differances in the PLC. But I am looking for a copy of the offline program called EZ-SPS so if any other users have a copy I would be most grateful of a copy as it is not available in the UK, look forward to other user's info and comments. Cheers Colin

[QUOTE=super-cochikui;703026]Hi everyone i have a eztrak sx but when i turn off this machine from the main power swicth on the back and i try to turn on again the machine does not start i have a diskette but the not start correct on the screen show floating error.
    somebody can help me to get a copy of the startup files i think my diskette is damage.QUOTE]

Oops, I just realized something - There is a big difference between the EZ Trak SX and DX - the DX has a hard drive, and the software disk I have is an install-to-HD disk. Sorry I don't have what you need for the SX. Maybe someone else could zip the thing up and send a copy. The machine should always be booted and operated with a copy, and the original kept safe somewhere. Someone is sure to have one?

ez trax software

i have my mill up and running now, but have found a few problems in the software. i am using ver. 7 from EMI. is there a new manual that goes with this software? my machine was originally ver. 3.63 and had it's own list of bugs in the software. i still have to wire usb ports on control panel for file transfer and repair the power drawbar.

thanks

keith

EZtrak manual

Quote Originally Posted by redford1955 View Post
    i have my mill up and running now, but have found a few problems in the software. i am using ver. 7 from EMI. is there a new manual that goes with this software? my machine was originally ver. 3.63 and had it's own list of bugs in the software. i still have to wire usb ports on control panel for file transfer and repair the power drawbar.

thanks

keith
    Hello Keith if you email me your email address I will forward on a download from hardinge bridgeport of a manual for the EZ_PLUS which is the later machine but covers the later software. my email is [email protected]
    Cheers Colin

i still have to wire usb ports on control panel for file transfer and repair the power drawbar.
    Is wiring up USB ports one of those things that if I have to ask "how do you do that?" I would not stand a chance of doing it myself?

EZ-trak 4th axis

Hello Again I have just been looking at the setup files for the Ez-trak and noticed that in the parameter settings there appears to be a setting for a fourth axis and wonder if anyone has ever added this feature or if it is at all possible to add it, or is it that the program that the machine uses is a basic program for a multitude of different machines using the same software control program.
    Look forward to your info Cheers Colin.

sorry "leftcoastcnc" that has taken me so long to get back to you about usb ports. my mill is up and running but i haven't made the cable for the usb yet. my plan is to mount the usb female sockets thru my control panel. i robbed the socket from an old pc. on the back of the panel i mounted a serial thru connector. i need to finish a cable to connect the end of the usb to serial plug, then i can run a serial cable down to the rear cabinet and connect to the motherboard. i have the new motherboard from EMI and obtained the data sheet for the motherboard to find the correct 9 pin connector on the motherboard to connect my converted serial cable to. from talking to EMI, this should work. i'll find out in another week or so.

thanks
    keith

sorry "leftcoastcnc" that has taken me so long to get back to you about usb ports. my mill is up and running but i haven't made the cable for the usb yet. my plan is to mount the usb female sockets thru my control panel. i robbed the socket from an old pc. on the back of the panel i mounted a serial thru connector. i need to finish a cable to connect the end of the usb to serial plug, then i can run a serial cable down to the rear cabinet and connect to the motherboard. i have the new motherboard from EMI and obtained the data sheet for the motherboard to find the correct 9 pin connector on the motherboard to connect my converted serial cable to. from talking to EMI, this should work. i'll find out in another week or so.

thanks
    keith
    Thanks for the reply. So will it behave as a USB port? For example can you read off of a thumb drive or will it work more like the existing serial port where you need a PC or Laptop to communicate?

USB

Actually the newest M/B provided by EMI actually has a USB port on it. The problem lies with getting DOS drivers to operate the port since DOS 6.2 does not contain USB drivers. Perhaps the board manufacturer might have a dos based driver?

Tim

Does anyone have the perfect 10.4" LCD EZ-Trak replacement monitor to recommend?

Please post specific manufacturer & model number.

Trying to stay under $200.00 budget for new if possible.

I am aware of the $450.00 replacement kit that is available. Present monitor works fine. Just thinking of the future.

I saw this monitor for $142.99 at Ecost.com. Made by Pyle. Model number is PLVW10IW. Not sure of the horizontal scan frequency of this monitor. Any thoughts?
    Link:
    http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...LAID=367022044

Personally I'd chuck a 13 or 15" LCD into another box if needed. I ended up with a eBay score 15" LCD from a gateway box, got rid of all the plastic except the button section and made my own bezel from scrap shelving. Fit great where the 13" monitor was and I can get rid of the whole back panel of the enclosure to make the whole thing slimmer.

The '98 EX trac we have at work has the EMI upgrade, nice to work with.

Jamie

Jamie

Very nicely done.

Jack

Hello all:

I do have a Z axis problem ( RED LED ON all the TIME) with Bridgeport running EZ TRAK software. The problem has been identified to the Driver Board amplifier.
    I trying to locate a schematic for the " Motion Science Board P# 9230031-0C, so far one of the Fet transistors has been identifed as defective plus R2 7.2k reistor ( OPEN). Before I power up again I will like to verify the reazon of the failure.

Thanks in advance

Miguel

Hi there Miguel,

Did you have any success finding a schematic for this board? I have two amps that need fixing now, but replacing the opto-isolators has not helped so I would appreciate any advice or information that is out there!

Many thanks,

Simon

No Luck with schematic. But I did fix the driver board after replacing all mosfet transistors N and P plus 2 open resistors identified on my original post.

I'm not sure what was the reason for the original failure.

Miguel