587,427 active members*
6,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridge Series II CNC,Boss 6. Begging for Help

Bridge Series II CNC,Boss 6. Begging for Help

Hello CNC Zoners!! Sorry for the bad english. I'm new at CNC milling, so I beg for your help on this.
    I've recently bought an used Bridgeport Series II CNC, Boss 6, milling machine from a N-York used machinery dealer. (I'm from South America).
    Machine looks to be in very good conditions, but I couldn't make it run yet, because of voltage and cycles differences.
    The original values from the machines are: 230 volts, 3 phase, 60 Hz.
    Our local values are: 380 volts, 3 phase, but 50 Hz (South America).
    With voltage, everything is ok, because I could manage an AC-Transformer, but, PEOPLE, PLEASE, what do I do with the cycles -Hz- differences? (Bridge:60Hz; Mine:50 Hz)? This just in order to make the machine run with their original parameters. I think cycle differences will ruin boards among others. What should I do?
    A big hug from South America, Jerry7.

I have been doing some research for you. Since the internet spans the world, I have heard more about BOSS 6.1 machine which I have never seen in the US. Now I know why.
    Attached are the differences and the specification sheets on the BOSS 6 and 6.1 machines. In a nut shell the 6.1 were built as overseas machines and were built for 50 HZ. Note that the ZCK is different which is the clock board (makes sense) as well as the NTP which chews at the math.
    Have you ever heard of a motor generator unit?

George
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek
    I have been doing some research for you. Since the internet spans the world, I have heard more about BOSS 6.1 machine which I have never seen in the US. Now I know why.
    Attached are the differences and the specification sheets on the BOSS 6 and 6.1 machines. In a nut shell the 6.1 were built as overseas machines and were built for 50 HZ. Note that the ZCK is different which is the clock board (makes sense) as well as the NTP which chews at the math.
    Have you ever heard of a motor generator unit?

George
    Thanks a lot Machintek -for the interest and helping sipirit-!!!. I'll take a look at the sheets you sent me.Thanks again. Let me remind you, that the original machine cycle is 60Hz. Our local one is 50Hz.
    An electronic guy, told me that it will going to be more easier -for him- if he could work with the wiring diagram, in order to Know about the components fitted inside tha actual board of the machine.Machine came with very basic ones. We are wondering if the machine will feel or suffer because of cycle difference. If not, I'll keep going with the new AC-Transformer. So, wiring diagrams will be absolutely wellcome.
    By the way, can you tell me more about that motor generator unit you told me?.
    Thanks again!!,
    Jerry. (Jerry7).

While in college in Newark NJ, I worked at a department store called haynes. A lot of the electrical lighting was 24 V this building was that old. So in the basement they had motor generator units. They took available power to run a motor which ran a generator which produced the 24 volts they needed. it may take a little doing but I wonder if such a device would take your 380 and produce 230 with a pulley ratio that would give you 60 HZ? An alyernative would be to do all this electronically. A transformer for voltage conversion, bridges and capacitors to make DC and then a chopper circuit to output AC at 60 HZ (oversimplified).
    Note that at the end of the 6.1 specs it says that the 50 Hz machines will run on 60 HZ but not the reverse.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek
    While in college in Newark NJ, I worked at a department store called haynes. A lot of the electrical lighting was 24 V this building was that old. So in the basement they had motor generator units. They took available power to run a motor which ran a generator which produced the 24 volts they needed. it may take a little doing but I wonder if such a device would take your 380 and produce 230 with a pulley ratio that would give you 60 HZ? An alyernative would be to do all this electronically. A transformer for voltage conversion, bridges and capacitors to make DC and then a chopper circuit to output AC at 60 HZ (oversimplified).
    Note that at the end of the 6.1 specs it says that the 50 Hz machines will run on 60 HZ but not the reverse.

George
    Thanks again George. I think you are giving me an interesting clue on this.
    Another question: I see no tape reader device attached to the machine or inside of panel. What other type of program storing options do I have? Could it be a PC hard-disc type? or any other device, or connect it to a PC? Don`t forget it is a Boss 6.
    Jerry

You need a PC with a serial port, the correct cable and some communications program such as PROCOMM.
    The memory in the machine is very limited (antique) and if the machine is shut off or reset you will lose TLOs, zero, and the program.
    You will also need the PC for editing a program in the machine.

George

PROCOMM as a communication program,ok. George, after stablishing that program, do you think I could run any other ones, those CAD/CAM likes? I mean, those applicables to mills?Thanks, Jerry.

Be careful as a lot of CAD/CAM programs spit out a lot of lines of programs, a lot of them redundant as their post processors piece together a program and will quickly exceed the capacity of your machine memory. Most include some sort of program to transfer files. PROCOMM also allows you the ability to edit a program in your machine which I think is very important as editing at the control panel is very difficult.
    PROCOMM is only an example, back then KERMIT was also very popular. Your choice as to what you wish to use. I could take a EZCAM program made on my MAC for my BOSS 9 and condense it from 8 pages to one using loops and macros. I also had to put in cutter comp manually as EZCAM would calculate for a cutter diameter but not use cutter comp. This was back in 1986.

George

So, both of them-Procomm as well as Kermit- would work fine for me (?). I tell you that my machinning needs goes around simply things as well as low manufacturing series of them.
    George, thanks again. My main problem is that here in my location, you won't find anything related to cnc milling,or someone to ask to about all this stuff.Your help will always be appreciated.
    Jerry.