587,495 active members*
3,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BP Series II Boss 8/9 Questions

A buddy of mine bought a Series II with a boss 8/9 control.

Some questions arose when I was at his house the other night. If anyone has answers, that would be super.

1. QC30 tooling. All the ones I have worked with previously have a power drawbar. I don't see one on his. How do you get the tool holders in and out?

2. Annoying squeal when the drive axis enable button is pressed. Is there any way to stop that?

3. The spindle sounds very loud, as if it were rough, but there is no real vibration. Any problems there?

I'm sure that I will remember more, but these are a start. I appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Matt

Answers

QC30 No power draw bar, these are "quick change" you just insert holder and then turn nut to the right till tight with a wrench (hook style) Done

Squeal when drive engaged.. normal

Noise in spindle ?????

The squel is from the "chokes" (electrical devices that look like transformers with values in milli henrys). There was a option for chokes of half the value that made half the noise. These were designed for schools but none were purchased as schools could not afford it.

Try the head in neutral and see if the noise is still there. If not the it could be the "clutches", spindle or spline.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

machintek, are you sure the servo amps are not the source of the noise (or are the chokes you speak of on the amp boards)?

The chokes were typically mounted on the bottom of the electrical cabinet with 3 large contactors.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks machintek, I now know exactly what devices you are referring to. But were the half value chokes actually that much more expensive, justifying making it an option? And do you recall the two choke values?