587,446 active members*
3,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BOSS DX32 Delete Directory

How do you DELETE a directory for C: and A:?

Regards,

Bob

Dx32 and dos

Hi, Bob

If your already in Dos and one directory below the directory you want to delete, the command is... rmdir_directoryname . the _ is a space.

David N

From any C:\anydirectory - Type CD C:\ This will take you to the root of your C drive.
    You an rmdir unwanted\ to remove the named unwanted directory.
    If you are sitting at a C: prompt, you can:
    C:\ delete A:\filename or A:\rmdir unwanted
    If you are at the A: prompt, just rmdir the unwanted directory or delete the file.

Quote Originally Posted by tapburrbit View Post
    Hi, Bob

If your already in Dos and one directory below the directory you want to delete, the command is... rmdir_directoryname . the _ is a space.

David N

You meant one directory "above" didn't you?

Jim

rmdir

No , I meant below, the directory you want to delete. If you were above, in my mind you would be in a sub directory of the one you want to delete. That wound''t be allowed , the directory must be empty to delete it , with the RMDIR command.
    Example:
    c:\Dir1\Dir2\Dir3 , say you want to delete Dir3, you must be back one in Dir2 and Dir3 must be empty.

Type , rmdir Dir3

There is also a command to delete Multiple levels and content. It may only be available in certain dos versions , I think the command is DELTREE ? And you need to use the wild cards for the content. I don't use it often enough to Know for sure. Be careful it could wipe out everything ! And I don't Know if there's a UNDO. Is there? does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by tapburrbit View Post
    No , I meant below, the directory you want to delete. If you were above, in my mind you would be in a sub directory of the one you want to delete. That wound''t be allowed , the directory must be empty to delete it , with the RMDIR command.
    Example:
    cir1Dir2Dir3 , say you want to delete Dir3, you must be back one in Dir2 and Dir3 must be empty.

Type , rmdir Dir3

There is also a command to delete Multiple levels and content. It may only be available in certain dos versions , I think the command is DELTREE ? And you need to use the wild cards for the content. I don't use it often enough to Know for sure. Be careful it could wipe out everything ! And I don't Know if there's a UNDO. Is there? does anyone know?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltree

I guess it's how you look at it. Typically (and correctlly) the root C:\ is the top or highest level. When you say sub-directory, think about as in sub-basement, or subordinate. Those directories are BELOW the root. You have to be at atleast the next higher level in order to do a rmdir or deltree command. Remember the old CD.. syntax? CD.. brings you up one level at a time.

DX32 HELPERS/GURUS

First, MANY THANKS for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I tried the command RMDIR <DIR>. In C: it did delete the empty DIRECTORIES. However, it didn't delete those DIRECTORIES that contained FILES.

In A: I believe the same command deleted DIRECTORIES that were empty and also those that contained files. I will check that again to make sure.

When at the C:\ what is needed to delete DIRECTORIES that contain FILES?

Again, Many Thanks!

Bob

Deltree or "delete tree" command is the answer...

This is a dangerous command so use this at your own risk for more info look here
    http://www.computerhope.com/deltree.htm

DX32 Gurus

Will the <deltree> command delete one DIRECTORY or ALL DIRECTORIES?

Regards,

Bob

This command i have found is not in existance on an XP machine but if you are runing DOS from one of the versions before until DOS 5 you will be able to use this command.

The actual command is extreamly powerful as if you were to type in DELTREE C: this command would delete every single directory in C drive but if you are specific about what you want to get rid of all the directories in root directory like for example C:\myfiles\ this command would only get rid of this directory and all of the files and directorys in this directory.

Format is another option if you mant to get rid of every file in a drive as DELTREE spends time deleting every single file individually before it deletes the directory and this can be very tedious for the user.

I remember using DELTREE to delete every single file on a hard drive before formating it and this took about 2 hours. Needless to say the next time i just formated it which took a lot less time.

As a side issue why are you using floppy disks?

I use a USB flash drive and boot my workshop machine to windows 98 download the files and then reboot into dos using the F8 key. This may not be the most elegant way to do this but i still think that in some respects i can do this faster than copying all the files of of a 1.4 mb disk. and besides what happens when one of your g-code files is too big for a old tech floppy disk. (These things are too unsafe for my important data... besides USB flash drives are washable. I have washed (accidently) about 5 of the ones that i use and they still work fine)...

Cheers

Instead of using the DELTREE as one of the guys pointed out can be dangerous, try doing this...just a little more time consuming but gives you a little safer route.

Get in the directory you want to delete the files in like:

C:\ (starting point)

cd \directorytowack (you type this)

C:\directorytowack ( system replies)

C:\directorytowack del *.* (you are deleting all files in THIS directory)

C:\directorytowack dir (it should be empty)

C:\directorytowack cd.. (bumps you up one level)

C:\ (you are back up to the root)

C:\ rd or rmdir directorytowack

C: dir (directorytowack is gone)

This should get you going.

When you have some "play" time chck out:

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gc...s/doshelp.html

It's a little tutorial called DOS Essentials

- Jim

DX32 Gurus

Again, MANY THANKS to all, for all of the great help. I'm struggling to learn this control, but I'm not giving up. I have found the Bridgeport Manual to be lacking for someone who has never seen this control before. Is it possible to learn this control strictly from the Bridgeport Manual? Don't give up on me, if I don't get it immediately. I'll be back with more questions. Until then, BEST WISHES and THANKS!

Regards,

Bob